[PCA] Fw: [Pollinator] Fw: NEWS: Climate Change Causing Hummingbird Missed Connections

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Thu Jun 14 14:24:27 CDT 2012

The message below follows up on the posting about shifting bloom phenology
and hummingbirds, which has been bouncing around the Pollinator listserve
a bit...from Dr. Peter Bernhardt of the St. Louis University (Missouri).

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist, Division of Scientific Authority-US Fish & Wildlife
Service-International Affairs
Chair, Medicinal Plant Working Group-Plant Conservation Alliance
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.

<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

Follow International Affairs
> on Twitter  http://twitter.com/USFWSInternatl
> on Facebook   http://www.facebook.com/USFWS_InternationalAffairs
----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 06/14/2012 03:20
PM -----

Peter Bernhardt <bernhap2 at slu.edu>
06/14/2012 03:08 PM

cc

Subject
Re: [Pollinator] Fw: [PCA] NEWS: Climate Change Causing Hummingbird Missed
Connections

This does not surprise me.  I've been growing native Aquilegia canadensis
in my garden since 1997.  Hummingbirds seem to "miss" the peak flowering
of this red columbine at least five years our of six.  Dr Trager probably
has similar records.  If you check the literature online you may find a
paper in which red columbine and the ruby throat phonologies seem to have
"decoupled" in places in North or South Carolina.  Seed set is now
accomplished either by bees or via self-pollination (almost all columbines
studied to date are highly self compatible).

Peter

----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 06/14/2012 09:32
AM -----

"James Trager" <James.Trager at mobot.org>
Sent by: native-plants-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org
06/14/2012 08:45 AM

<native-plants at lists.plantconservation.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [PCA] NEWS: Climate Change Causing Hummingbird Missed
 Connections

Hummingbirds completely missed the red-flowered Aesculus pavia in the SE
USA this year.

James C. Trager, Ph. D.
Biologist - Naturalist
Shaw Nature Reserve