[PCA] Fw: News from Southern Arizona Buffelgrass Coordination Center - including job announcement

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Fri Jul 27 07:54:55 CDT 2012

I wanted to share the newsletter below from the Southern Arizona
Buffelgrass Coordination Center (SABCC) - to celebrate the good work they
are doing to serve as a regional information center that emphasizes an
integrated management approach to controlling buffelgrass (Pennisetum
ciliare) in Southern Arizona.  NOTE: I've had to "strip" this message a
little so the file size isn't too large. If any of the links don't work,
please visit their website.

Led by Dr. Lindy Brigham, Executive Director, SABCC is tackling a plant
conservation issue in the American Southwest with all the resources that
epitomize the six focal areas of the Plant Conservation Alliance strategy:
collaboration, education, restoration, research, sustainability, and data
linkages (http://www.nps.gov/plants/strategy.htm).

The current newsletter heralds their receipt of a grant from FEMA to do
proactive mitigation before disaster strikes and announces a position
opening at SABCC for an Invasive Species Project Manager (in case the link
doesn't work below, here it is:
http://www.buffelgrass.org/content/careers).  Deadline: August 15, 2012!

More information about the SABCC and buffelgrass (as taken from their
website):
Buffelgrass in a non-native species that was introduced in the United
States  in the 1930s as livestock forage, erosion control, and soil
stabilization. Today it is found from the East Coast to the southwestern
deserts. The big problem with buffelgrass is that it is invasive and, over
the years, it has taken over what were once fire-resistant desert areas
and converted them to flammable grasslands.  "Buffelgrass has introduced a
new wildfire risk into an ecosystem that is not fire adapted."

Pima County declared buffelgrass a Regulated and Restricted Noxious Weed
in 2005 and a buffelgrass summit in 2007 led to the inception of this
Center.

SABCC's connection to PCA:
The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, A PCA Cooperator, received a Native
Plant Conservation Initiative (NPCI) grant in 2004 to look into the
buffelgrass problem, which is summarized here:

Conservation of Arizona and Sonoran Desert Habitat (AZ & Mexico)
Inventory the non-native buffelgrass throughout the Arizona upland
subdivision of the Sonoran Desert in Arizona and Mexico. Project will map
distribution of buffelgrass populations and select 20 sites for in-depth
data analysis.
Grantee: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Inc. (
http://www.nps.gov/plants/nfwf/nfwf04.htm)
Final Report:
http://www.desertmuseum.org/programs/buffel_survey_report.pdf

Lindy confirmed that this research has fed into SABCC's work, saying "the
survey work they did served as a model for buffelgrass mapping and we use
the information from the report in many of our presentations and to garner
support from the transportation department."  A member of the Desert
Museum also serves on the SABCC Board.  It is nice to know that the NPCI
program funded research that met this important need.

Learn more & get involved:
Join the SABCC mailing list to receive the SABCC updates in the future, or
visit their website (www.buffelgrass.org/) to learn more about buffelgrass
research, mapping, and volunteering. Lindy Brigham is also a member of the
APWG listserve, so I'm sure if you have any questions or comments you can
post them to this list.  I've noticed that we do not have an Alien
Inviasive Fact Sheet on Buffelgrass (www.nps.gov/plants/alien/factmain.htm
) - perhaps someone would like to volunteer to work on one with the
Center...

Cheers and keep up the good work!

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist, Division of Scientific Authority-US Fish & Wildlife
Service-International Affairs
Chair, Medicinal Plant Working Group-Plant Conservation Alliance
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.

<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

Follow International Affairs
> on Twitter  http://twitter.com/USFWSInternatl
> on Facebook   http://www.facebook.com/USFWS_InternationalAffairs
----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 07/26/2012 08:53
AM -----
Southern Arizona Buffelgrass Coordination Center
<lindy.brigham at buffelgrass.org>
07/25/2012 01:15 AM

Please respond to
lindy.brigham at buffelgrass.org

cc

Subject
News from Southern Arizona Buffelgrass Coordination Center

You're receiving this email because of your relationship with Southern
Arizona Buffelgrass Coordination Center. Please confirm your continued
interest in receiving email from us. To ensure that you continue to
receive emails from us, add lindy.brigham at buffelgrass.org to your address
book today.

You may unsubscribe if you no longer wish to receive our emails.

Summer 2012
Southern Arizona Buffelgrass Coordination Center

Newsletter

In This Issue
FEMA Grant
SWFire SABCC Video
SUCCESS!
Volunteers RULE!
Primavera Works
Project Manager Position
Help Map!
Upcoming Events

Our Mission
is to provide a regional information center that emphasizes an integrated
management approach to control buffelgrass in Southern Arizona.

Southern Arizona Buffelgrass Coordination Center

1955 E. 6th Street
Tucson, AZ  85719
(520) 626-8307

info at buffelgrass.org

www.buffelgrass.org

Dear SABCC Supporter,

Summer is here and with it more reports on the buffelgrass front.

The Pima County Board of Supervisors approved the FEMA grant on June 19th.
 We are putting the finishing touches on the various contracts and will
keep you updated on our progress.  This is a 3 year grant for $3.4 million
to mitigate buffelgrass at the Tucson International Airport and Pima
County Mission Complex.

Please check out the great video that the Southwest Fire Consortium
produced highlighting SABCCs collaborative efforts. A special thanks goes
to Molly Hunter from NAU for spearheading this work.

We have another superb SUCCESS story from Saguaro National Park, and a
great summary of the incredible work volunteers are doing in the community
by Marilyn Hanson.

Please feel free to contribute articles and news items as well as sending
us suggestions on things that you would like to see in the newsletter.

Have a great Summer,

Lindy A. Brigham,
Executive Director
Southern Arizona Buffelgrass Coordination Center
Email

FEMA Pre-disaster mitigation grant: Pima County Wildfire Mitigation
Project.

In recognition of the increasing threat to critical infrastructure,
essential services and public safety, the Federal Emergency Management
Agency (FEMA) recently awarded the State Office
of Emergency Management a pre-disaster mitigation grant for $3.4 million
to mitigate the threat of buffelgrass on two critical facilities - Tucson
International Airport and the Pima County Mission Road Complex, which
houses the Pima County Jail.

SABCC worked with the Office of Emergency Management, Pima County, Tucson
Airport Authority, and Logan Simpson Design to identfy the key areas  and
develop a mitigation strategy.  This is a three year grant with the
objective of reducing buffelgrass within the two key areas to a level
where only normal vegetation maintence is required going forward.  SABCC
will develop education and mitigation programs in a 2 mile buffer area
surrounding the sites to increase the efficacy of the site efforts and to
protect the neighborhoods from buffelgrass fires.

FEMA 2011 Sites

 In the news:
A short piece on the project in the Arizona Daily Star
A video piece on  KOLD July5th, 2012

Southwest Fire Consortium creates video of SABCC

Buffelgrass: Southern Arizona Fights Back

SABCC has been honored with recognition by the Southwest Fire Science
Consortium.  With Josh McDaniel, they produced an 11 minute video
highlighting the work SABCC and it's partners have been doing in the
Tucson Basin.

"The ecological and economic threat that buffelgrass poses to the
community of Tucson and the surrounding area has sparked an unprecedented
level of cooperation among land managers, nonprofits, government at all
levels, and representatives from the business community. The Southern
Arizona Buffelgrass Coordination Center represents a model of
cross-­-jurisdiction cooperation and community engagement in response to
an environmental threat."

Here is a link to the written story

Molly Hunter from NAU, a long-time SABCC collaborator, initiated this
project - Thank you Molly!

Buffelgrass SUCCESS Stories - Saguaro National Park Volunteer Weedwackers
Reach a Milestone

Saguaro National Park is located in the scenic southwest Sonoran Desert,
on the flanks of Tucson, AZ. Visitors from around the globe are drawn to
the park's iconic southwestern landscape, characterized by the park's
namesake, the saguaro cacti. Yet the park's landscape and the plants and
animals that depend upon it for their existence are becoming increasingly
threatened by buffelgrass (Pennisetum ciliare), an invasive grass from
Africa. Buffelgrass was introduced in the 1930's, primarily as forage for
livestock and erosion control. In recent years, buffelgrass has spread
exponentially across southern Arizona. It has the potential, through
intense competition and introduced wildfire, to dominate the natural
landscape of the park and surrounding areas in less than a decade. Saguaro
National Park takes its mission seriously and with the support of
dedicated volunteers, is doing what it takes to preserve and protect its
namesake and its unique habitat.

Saguaro National Park uses a variety of methods to control buffelgrass,
including hand pulling and herbicides. The Saguaro National Park
Weedwackers, a volunteer group created in 2007, are an important component
of the park's overall treatment strategy. Local community members convene
on a monthly basis with the sole intent of pulling buffelgrass. The
Freeman patch, an 11 acre patch of buffelgrass located near the historic
Freeman Homestead, has been the target of this volunteer labor force since
July of 2008. Armed with rock hammers, digging bars and pick mattocks, the
Weedwackers have braved hidden cacti, thorny shrubs, coiled rattlesnakes,
and the ever looming desert heat month after month.

While the dedication and perseverance of the Weedwackers was truly the
engine driving the eradication of this patch forward, there were many
other contributing interest groups that sustained the momentum between
monthly meetings. Office workers from CitiGroup and Tucson Electric Power,
numerous school groups, and youth organizations including the Eagle Scouts
of America and the Cactus Rangers all dedicated time, sweat, and smiles to
the effort.

In March 10, 2012, a nearly 4 year quest to remove this massive
infestation from the heart of the park came to an end. The Weedwackers met
that morning, to remove a thin strip of buffelgrass lined the banks,
spotted the surrounding landscape, and then blinked out. The volunteers
lowered their wide brimmed hats, and their tool hardened hands made short
work of those remaining offenders. As the bustle of work stilled, and the
sound of feet wandering in search of that one last plant replaced the
pounding of tools on the earth, the tranquility of the desert resumed. The
steely eyes of the desert dwellers soaked in the scene; the balance of the
landscape had at last been restored. Flowers had germinated where once
there was no room for other life. Cacti, long buried by the dense tangles
of grass, were revealed in the clear sunlight. Saguaros raised their arms
in thanks and danced on the horizon. The job was finally done.

In the end, 464 individuals contributed 2,843 hours of hard physical labor
to this endeavor. Our thanks go out to all of those volunteers who made
this success possible. The elimination of the Freeman patch has shown us
what the strength, heart, and commitment of the community is capable of,
and given us hope as we move forward in our fight to save the saguaro.

Scott Stonum Chief of Science and Resource Management - Saguaro National
Park

Read more on Saguro National Park's Efforts HERE

The Will of the People

I recently overheard someone ask if the "will of the people" was enough to
fight back the spread of buffelgrass. I thought it might be helpful to see
what the "will of the people" looks like on a map. I know that we will
never be rid of buffelgrass but we can maintain and manage its spread into
all of the wild, natural areas around Tucson, including the washes in the
city. Below is a summary of the Sonoran Desert Weedwacker's work in Tucson
Mountain Park.

Volunteer Efforts for the last three years:
2011 - 660  volunteers / 2497 hours donated
2010 - 873  volunteers / 3223 hours donated
2009 - 1040 volunteers / 3770 hours donated

Efforts by Saturday Weedwackers - 2011
(work every third Saturday in the following areas):
North of Caretaker's House
CAP Canal
Ironwood Picnic Area
Prospector's Trail
Sweetwater Preserve
North of Calle Paso Robles
Quarry west of Kennedy Park
Water tank on Rock Wren Trail
Efforts by Wednesday Weedwackers - 2011
(work every 2nd and 4th Wednesday)
Finished clearing the steep slopes of Cat and Little Cat Mountain
Cleared all of the hills NE of the Sarasota Trailhead
Recleared the huge infestation in valley south of COTA and then cleared
the next valley to the south
Recleared Trail's End Wash for a third year. Found almost no fountain
grass or buffelgrass within the wash. Native wildflowers emerging where
solid fountain grass had been growing.
Continued to reclear the slope of Bushmaster Peak N of Gate's Pass Road
Individual Weedwackers cleared the hills around the Sarasota and 36th
Street Trailhead
Hills to the north of ASDM recleared
Kinney Road recleared between ASDM and Gate's Pass Road

Tucson Mountain Park. Accumulated data going back to 2000

Yellow-BG Removed   Red-BG Present   Orange-BG Being Removed
Aqua-Areas Recleared   Purple-Roadways Cleared  Blue-Sprayed

Additional Photo Reports available.

>From my perspective, the "will of the people" is pretty strong and
committed.

Marilyn Hanson
Volunteer Coordinator
Sonoran Desert Weedwackers

The Sonoran Desert Weedwackers have been removing invasive grasses from
Tucson Mountain Park since 2000. They work every third Saturday of the
month year-round for about three hours. A smaller group also works on the
second and fourth Wednesdays of the month for about four hours.  To join
the Weedwacker efforts around the Tucson Basin, contact Marilyn Hanson

Buffelgrass Removal by Primavera Works

Do you or someone you know need help with buffelgrass???

Primavera Works has several crews specially trained in buffelgrass
removal.

 5 GOOD REASONS TO HIRE PRIMAVERA WORKS
Our staff are trained on removal techniques that eradicate existing
buffelgrass and reduces the spread of grass.
Able to differentiate buffelgrass from desirable, native grass species.
Primavera's Buffelgrass Brigade brings their own tools.
Our Buffelgrass removal is part of a yard clean-up process, so you'll get
rid of the ugly fire hazard of buffelgrass and get a clean, manicured
yard.
Free estimates!
GET RID OF YOUR BUFFELGRASS! CALL (520) 882-9668

Download the Primavera Buffelgrass Flyer

SABCC is looking for a project manager
Please spread the word

INVASIVE SPECIES PROJECT MANAGER

Part time with potential for full time position responsible for
coordinating and managing buffelgrass mitigation efforts with multiple
local, state, and federal partners in Southern Arizona. Requires extensive
travel and working with diverse organizations, field conditions and
requirements.

ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Manages day-to-day operational aspects of projects and cooperative
agreements.
Convenes partner meetings to establish plans of action and stakeholder
responsibilities.
Assists in writing work plans and specifications for fieldwork and
contractors; schedules work, and supervises contractors and volunteers.
Help develop and manage a certification program for contractors working
with buffelgrass.
Manage Beat Back Buffelgrass Day, including convening partners on a
regular basis, working with web technician to develop and maintain website
registrations, order supplies.
Manages budgets and assists in preparing reports to funding agencies.
Assist the Executive Director in developing and writing grant proposals
from federal, state, foundation and local funding agencies.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
College degree or equivalent in science-related field
3 or more years of professional experience in project management and
vegetation management
Experience in developing and managing multiple projects, simultaneously

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Fluency in Spanish
Experience interacting with diverse citizen groups
Experience preparing complex grant applications
Direct experience with invasive species management
Experience working with GIS data management systems and decision support
systems.
APPLICATION DEADLINE - August 15, 2012

Download the full job description for distribution and instructions for
applying (here)

Be On The Lookout!!!!

Know of any buffelgrass problem areas?  Click on the link below and use
our new Citizen's Report form to let us know where they are!

Citizen Buffelgrass Report Form

Upcoming Events

Get Involved!
Visit the SABCC Buffelgrass Event calendar to learn about buffelgrass pull
events in your area!
SABCC Buffelgrass Event Calendar

 COMING SOON in the Newsletters

Stay tuned for SABCC updates in our next Newsletter issues
Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum teams up with REI in the fight against
buffelgrass.
Updates on the FEMA grant project at the Tucson International Airport and
the Pima County Mission Complex
More details on the Decision Support and Data Management Systems
More Buffelgrass SUCCESS stories
And much, much more?xfeff;
Do YOU have a story you would like to contribute?
Send them to info at buffelgrass.org

THANKS!

Sincerely,

Lindy Brigham
Executive Director
Southern Arizona Buffelgrass Coordination Center
1955 E. 6th Street
Tucson, AZ  85719
520-626-8307
Email

Southern Arizona Buffelgrass Coordination Center | PO Box 31166 | Tucson |
AZ | 85751