[PCA] Invasion of the Orchid Snatchers

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Thu May 19 09:37:36 CDT 2011

The attached article describes several of the issues that concern our
office on a daily basis when it comes to implementing the Convention on
International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).
 Like most pieces written for a public audience, some points are
oversimiplified, overstereotyped, or overdramatized. But, it provides a
cross-section of the complexities concerning sustainable use and
conservation of orchids.

The Smithsonian Institution's Thomas Mirenda gives an excellent talk on
the consequences that orchid smuggling has had on species conservation for
Phragmipedium kovachii (which was illegally imported into the United
States) and Paphiopedilum vietnamense (which was legally imported into the
United States) - both species are mentioned in this article.

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority - CITES
Chair - Medicinal Plant Working Group - Plant Conservation Alliance
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>