[PCA] Fw: Fairchild Challenge updates and announcements

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Wed Sep 15 10:26:49 CDT 2010

This is a really neat program started by the Fairchild Tropical Garden to
promote botany in our schools. Note the general plant components, along
with invasives, medicinals (ethnobotanical), and pollinators!  The list of
sites that have participated in The Challenge can be found at:
</www.fairchildgarden.org/uploads/docs/Education/Challenge/2011/Satellite_Partners/sites_trained__launched_8.10.pdf>
Check it out!
-Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 09/15/2010 10:49
AM -----

"Challenge" <Challenge at fairchildgarden.org>
09/14/2010 03:58 PM

cc

Subject
Fairchild Challenge updates and announcements

Greetings, fellow educators!

The Fairchild Challenge - the unique environmental education outreach
program offered by Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden in Miami, Florida -
is off to an exciting start this year! More than 350 elementary, middle
and high school teachers recently attended our launch event to learn more
about the 2010-2011 Fairchild Challenge and already, more than 190 schools
have registered for this year's Miami-region programs alone!

The Fairchild Challenge - now in its ninth year - is not only successfully
engaging students in Miami, it's also reaching other regions throughout
the U.S. and around the world. Through its Satellite Partners initiative,
Fairchild offers this program as a replicable model and provides annual
training workshops for sites interested in learning more about the program
and exploring how it can be launched in their locale. The next annual
Fairchild Challenge Satellite Partners Training Workshop will take place
from January 26 through January 29, 2011. If you'd like more information
about this workshop please contact us right away at
challenge at fairchildgarden.org.

To learn more about the Fairchild Challenge please visit our website:
www.fairchildchallenge.org. Here you can view our program booklets, as
well as general information, media coverage, photos (on our Flickr page)
and videos (on our YouTube channel) of the program.

Please be sure to also visit our Satellite Partners page to learn more
about our Satellite Partner programs and our exciting global initiatives,
including the 2010-2011 Fairchild Challenge/BGCI Global Option and Global
Showcases.

Please feel free to contact us at challenge at fairchildgarden.org if you
have any questions or would like more information about the Fairchild
Challenge.

Best wishes, on behalf of the Fairchild Challenge team,
Netiva

Netiva Kolitz
Fairchild Challenge Satellite Programs Coordinator

Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road
Coral Gables, FL 33156-4296
Phone: 305-669-4092 or 305-667-1651 x3363
Fax: 305-400-0265
Email: challenge at fairchildgarden.org

www.fairchildchallenge.org