[PCA] WEB: The Language of Conservation

Olivia Kwong plant at plantconservation.org
Wed Jun 30 08:39:34 CDT 2010

http://learningcenter.lta.org/attached-files/0/94/9466/220-2749_Language_of_Conservation_-_Final_%282%29.pdf

"The following recommendations for communicating effectively to build
support for conservation are based on extensive qualitative research and a
representative national survey of American voters commissioned by The
Nature Conservancy and conducted by a bi-partisan research team:
Democratic polling firm Fairbank, Maslin, Maullin, Metz & Associates and
Republican polling firm Public Opinion Strategies.

While the research had multiple goals, this memo seeks to provide language
and messaging recommendations in a list of easy-to-follow, broad "rules"
for communication. Some of these rules reinforce long-standing
communication guidelines we have tracked over time, while others were
tested to reflect today's changed political and economic context. We found
few exceptions to the guidelines presented, although we note that it is
always prudent to test language and messages to ensure their effectiveness
in a specific state or local area prior to investing in public
communication."

For the full text of the report, see the PDF at the link above.  Note
that this is a newer 2009 report (previous one was in 2004).