[PCA] August 1 Deadline - N.A. Collections Assessment

Abby Hird ahird at arnarb.harvard.edu
Mon Jul 12 15:00:54 CDT 2010

Dear Plant Collection Colleagues,

As many of you know, we have a unique and important opportunity to
document all living plant collections in North America as part of a
regional and global assessment currently underway.  Thanks to those of
you who have already contributed your collection's taxa list to the
PlantSearch database!

If you haven't yet participated, I am writing to urge you to do so
before August 1, 2010 to ensure your collections are included and
recognized in the Assessment. And we can help you through the process -
if there are questions, please contact us and we can discuss how your
garden can contribute.

It is quick, easy, and free.
It gives your institution valuable information about your collections.
AND, it will fill a huge gap in our knowledge of plant diversity and
threatened plants in cultivation.

The project website is www.bgci.org/usa/MakeYourCollectionsCount
<http://www.bgci.org/usa/MakeYourCollectionsCount> . Please read on and
ensure your collections manager receives a copy - apologies if you
receive this notice more than once.

 Sincerely,

Abby Hird

BGCI-US

How much of North America 's plant diversity is safeguarded in living
collections?

The short answer is we don't know, but in 2010, BGCI-US is partnering
with the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University and the United States
Botanic Garden to answer this question by engaging the living
collections of North America, large and small, in a global initiative.
We are asking the nearly 900 gardens in every region and ecosystem in
Canada, Mexico, and the United States to join us in the North American
Collections Assessment by August 1, 2010, to demonstrate the invaluable
contributions botanic gardens make towards the Global Strategy for Plant
Conservation.

Every garden can easily make an important contribution to plant
conservation - and gain valuable benefits for their living collections
by participating. All you need is a simple spreadsheet of plant names
held at your institution. There are easy instructions at our website,
and please feel free to contact Abby or Andrea with questions. We are
here to help.

And we need your help. If you manage collections at your institution,
find out how to take action NOW by visiting our website:
www.bgci.org/usa/MakeYourCollectionsCount
<http://www.bgci.org/usa/MakeYourCollectionsCount> . If you don't manage
collections at your institution, please forward this message to someone
who does, and urge them to make your collections count by August 1!

Thanks for your support for this exciting project.  We look forward to
hearing from you!

Abby Hird
GSPC Research Associate
Botanic Gardens Conservation International US
Tel. 617.384.5774
E-mail: abby_hird at harvard.edu <mailto:abby_hird at harvard.edu>

Andrea Kramer, Ph.D.
Executive Director

Botanic Gardens Conservation International US
Tel: 847.835.6971

E-mail: andrea.kramer at bgci.org <mailto:andrea.kramer at bgci.org>

The North American Collections Assessment is led by BGCI-US in
partnership with the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University and the
United States Botanic Garden, with additional funding from the Wallace
Genetic Foundation.
A special thanks to the Collaborators
<http://www.bgci.org/usa/nacacollaborators/>  of the North American
Collections Assessment!