[PCA] North American Collections Assessment - First Announcement

Andrea Kramer andrea.kramer at bgci.org
Fri Apr 16 09:59:00 CDT 2010

April 2010

How much of North America's plant diversity is safeguarded in ex situ collections?

The short answer is we don't know, but in 2010, BGCI-US, partnering with the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University and the United States Botanic Garden, will answer this question by engaging the living collections of North America, large and small, in a global initiative. We are asking gardens and other conservation organizations with living plant, seed bank, or tissue culture collections in every region and ecosystem in Canada, Mexico, and the United States to join us in a North American Collections Assessment taking place May 1 - August 1, 2010.

WE NEED YOUR HELP! Every institution can easily make an important contribution to plant conservation - and gain important benefits for their living collections!  Check out the first project announcement to learn how you can take get involved in this exciting initiative at www.bgci.org/files/UnitedStates/NACA_first_announcement.pdf<http://www.bgci.org/files/UnitedStates/NACA_first_announcement.pdf>, or visit our project website at www.bgci.org/usa/makeyourcollectionscount<http://www.bgci.org/usa/makeyourcollectionscount>.  Also, please forward this message to others that manage collections and urge them to make their collections count in 2010.

Thank you for committing to support this very important and exciting project.  We look forward to hearing from you!

Abby Hird

Global Strategy for Plant Conservation Research Associate

Botanic Gardens Conservation International US

The Arnold Arboretum

Tel: 617.384.5774

E-mail: abby_hird at harvard.edu<mailto:abby_hird at harvard.edu>

Andrea Kramer, Ph.D.

Executive Director

Botanic Gardens Conservation International US

Tel: 847.835.6971

E-mail: andrea.kramer at bgci.org<mailto:andrea.kramer at bgci.org>

Ray Mims

Conservation & Sustainability

United States Botanic Garden

Tel: 202.226.4067

E-mail: rmims at aoc.gov<mailto:rmims at aoc.gov>

Michael S. Dosmann, Ph.D.
Curator of Living Collections
The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University
Tel: 617.384.5769
E-mail: michael_dosmann at harvard.edu<mailto:michael_dosmann at harvard.edu>

The North American Collections Assessment is led by BGCI-US in partnership with the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University and the United States Botanic Garden, with additional funding from the Wallace Genetic Foundation.

This e-mail is for the addressee only. If received in error, please delete and notify us immediately. Any unauthorised access, disclosure, copying, distribution or reliance on it, is prohibited.

BGCI is a registered charity and company, limited by guarantee, in England and Wales, and in the U.S. as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.

Registered UK address: Descanso House, 199 Kew Road, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 3BW, UK, Charity number: 1098834, Company Number: 04673175

www.bgci.org