[PCA] Plant rediscoveries -- request for new and noteworthy

Bruce Stein SteinB at nwf.org
Fri Sep 25 14:21:53 CDT 2009

As part of my effort to get plants more widely regarded as a legitimate type of "wildlife" the flagship magazine of the National Wildlife Federation (National Wildlife) will be doing an article on rediscoveries of rare and endangered plant species. This will provide an opportunity to help raise awareness of the importance of plants and plant conservation to a very broad audience of conservation-minded readers.

Several months ago I collected a number of examples from natural heritage botanists and others, but since we have now been through an additional field season, wanted to find out if there are any new and particularly interesting rediscoveries that have come to light, and that might make an interesting fodder for this article. If you know of any good examples, either from the US or other parts of the world, I would appreciate receiving information about them, ideally by Friday October 2.  If you'd like to share with the rest of the list serve, feel free, but otherwise, send suggestions directly to steinb at nwf.org.

Thanks so much in advance.

Bruce

Bruce A. Stein, Ph.D.
Associate Director, Wildlife Conservation and Global Warming
National Wildlife Federation
901 E Street NW
Washington, DC 20004
phone: (202) 797-6602