[PCA] [APWG] Herbicide Application Techniques Prohibit Re: NEWS: Studyfinds one-time herbicide use decreased native plants, may h

Addsum-Tony Frates afrates at addsuminc.com
Thu Sep 24 14:37:23 CDT 2009

I would suggest staying on track and reacting to what it actually says.  The study
simply shows what it shows and should be read for what it says.   Its focus was on a
"one-time" spraying.    It didn't condemn any and all spraying.    Apparently there is
some reaction or impression that this might be the case or construed in that fashion.

I would say that I seriously question to what extent we have learned from past
lessons and mistakes and hence we need studies exactly like this one.     These
chemicals typically are in fact not in the hands of truly qualified professionals that
know how to handle them.  That is the point.   So the point of the study is:  if you
don't know what you are doing, then there can be serious unintended consequences.
Certainly in fact science-based observation have proven that again and again.

Here I now go off on my very own tangent.

We also continue to have numerous legal or other requirements where corporations
and others are NOT required to make any follow-up at all.   Take some of the
discussions about restoration/reclamation.    We could talk about the lack of follow-
up required of oil and gas companies in "restoring" oil pads and other areas
damaged by their activities.   Instead they perform a one-time event using the
services of individuals that are typically not highly qualified, and leave, washing their
hands of the problem.     I suspect exactly the same to be true with various kinds of
herbicide "treatments" and the lack of follow-up leading to problems that were worse
than when they began.

Maybe the problem is that our problems are human-derived, yet we are expecting
humans to somehow fix them?

Tony Frates