[PCA] CALL: Presentations for Wisconsin Wetlands Association's Conference

Olivia Kwong plant at plantconservation.org
Wed Oct 7 08:08:52 CDT 2009

Wetlands in Service
15th Annual Conference
February 11-12, 2010
Eau Claire, Wisconsin

http://www.wisconsinwetlands.org/2010CFP.htm

CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS
Abstract Deadline: Monday, November 9, 2009
Note: Presenters receive a $15 registration discount.

In 2010, Wisconsin Wetlands Association will convene members of the
regional wetland community for our 15th annual wetland science conference,
Wetlands in Service, to discuss the latest in wetland science, management,
restoration and protection issues. The program for this 2-day conference
will have a special thematic focus on the ecological services provided by
wetlands and will include a keynote address, topical oral sessions, a
poster session, working groups, a banquet and wetland field trips.
Following more than a decade-long tradition, we anticipate that this
year.s conference will contribute to a growing regional collaboration for
protecting and conserving Wisconsin.s wetlands.

The concept of "ecological services" is increasingly used in making the
case for the preservation of natural systems in general and wetlands in
particular. We are focusing on wetland services as this year.s theme to
stimulate practitioners, regulators, and researchers to make presentations
to help us all understand the state of our knowledge about ecological
services provided by wetlands in our region. The concept of ecological
services is defined in a number of ways, but we define it as any
beneficial contribution to an ecosystem, including human health and
welfare. This is a broad theme and we expect that most people interested
in and working on wetlands will be able to contribute.

Wisconsin Wetlands Association invites you to submit an abstract for
presentation at our 15th Annual Conference. We seek proposals for oral
presentations or posters on wetlands research, restoration and management
projects. We welcome presentations on work done in all wetland community
types and from around the Midwest region, as long as the content of the
presentation applies to wetlands of Wisconsin. We especially encourage
submissions on these topics related to the theme, Wetlands in Service:

1. Floral Diversity: Wetlands as habitat for plants, food and shelter
provided by plants.
2. Wildlife & Fisheries Habitat: Wetlands as exclusive or essential
habitat for animals (including mammals, birds, invertebrates, fish,
reptiles, and amphibians), threats to biodiversity from invasive species.
3. Flood & Stormwater Attenuation: Flood protection and mitigation,
stormwater retention and management, regional effects of wetlands on
evapotranspiration, reduction of flood damage.
4. Water Quality Protection: Wetlands as "filters" and as sinks,
regulators, and cyclers of nutrients, sedimentation.
5. Shoreline Protection: Wetlands and their relation to lakes, streams and
rivers.
6. Groundwater Connections: Wetland-related impacts on groundwater
recharge and discharge, groundwater level changes as they affect wetlands.
7. Recreation and education: Economic and social impacts of
recreation-based tourism, formal and informal educational programming
interpreting wetlands.

We also recognize that, to maximize wetland benefits and balance them with
other resource demands, we need intelligent and scientifically-based
management. Therefore, we also seek presentations that cut across all of
the eight areas identified above (or address other ecological services
wetlands provide), including presentations on:

* Balancing management impacts on services: When you manage for one
service in particular, what are the impacts on other services (how do you
measure these impacts, and how do you evaluate the costs and benefits of
these choices)?
* Location, location, location: Where do we need wetlands on the landscape
in order to achieve human goals for particular ecological services?
* The contribution of wetlands in atmospheric maintenance and climate
regulation
* Wetlands as an adaptive response to the anticipated increase in flooding
events associated with global climate change
* Maximizing the water quality benefits of wetlands: Regulation and policy
for clean water
* Maximizing the hydrologic benefits of wetlands: Regulation and policy
for water storage and discharge
* Keeping what we have: Regulations on wetland fill and modification and
protections against other threats
* Improving and adding to what we have: Restoration and wetland creation
* Watershed management: Including all landscape attributes within a
watershed that influence wetlands

We also recognize that often wetland scientists must translate the science
behind ecosystem services into terms that can be understood by decision
makers and compel them to take action in order to achieve practical
results that benefit wetlands and their nearby human communities.
Therefore, we seek presentations or workshops that articulate:

* Techniques and methods for quantifying ecosystem services provided by
wetlands.
* Methods/strategies for communicating about wetland ecosystem services to
decision makers.
* How and whether ecosystem services (beyond biodiversity) could be
incorporated into mitigation performance standards.
* Case studies that illustrate restoration and management of wetlands to
improve ecological services.
* How existing wetland protection regulations, policies, and planning
tools/processes help maintain or restore wetland ecological services
* Where regulatory environments that affect wetlands might overlap and/or
conflict (e.g. floodplain, shoreland, and wetland regulations).

See the link above for more information and submission information.