[PCA] Citizen Science Registry

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Wed Mar 11 09:39:21 CDT 2009

FYI:  A new website that allows people to share info on citizen science
projects - start adding your plant conservation projects to the mix!
-P.

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

- - - - - - -

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the launch of a new Project Registry for
Citizen Science Central, www.citizenscience.org/projects/.  This Project
Gateway is a first step towards connecting with others to share ideas.

The new Project Gateway moves beyond a simple list of links and allows
project leaders to upload details about their own project (see an example
page here:
<http://www.birds.cornell.edu/citscitoolkit/projects/clo/NestWatch>).  We
are moving to this format to:

    1) help expand the number and types of projects represented in the
database;
    2) offer a search function for locating projects of interest, and;
    3) allow projects to list customized information which can be updated
on a regular basis.

The project registry takes no more than ten minutes per project, and
filling it out is straightforward.  If you have on hand a short project
description, URLs, and contact information, and have in mind a few key
words and an image to share, this should be a snap.  Here is the link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=V_2fAVKKaMnLpH2LiOoRlUzQ_3d_3d

Please also feel free to forward this message along to colleagues who are
doing similar work to support public participation in real-world research.

 The more projects entered into the registry, the more robust this
resource will become for all of us.

Thanks so much, I look forward to seeing this community grow.

~~Jennifer

Jennifer L. Shirk
Citizen Science Toolkit Project Leader
Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology