[PCA] NEWS: How Green Is Your Garden? A New Rating System May Tell You

Olivia Kwong plant at plantconservation.org
Thu Jan 8 11:07:27 CST 2009

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/08/garden/08garden.html?_r=1

How Green Is Your Garden? A New Rating System May Tell You
By ANNE RAVER - The New York Times
Published: January 7, 2009

WASHINGTON -- I COULDN'T believe that the giant goldenrod was still
blooming in late December, when the temperature was only 32 degrees. But
there it was, its curvy seven-foot stems lounging in a landscape devoted
to regional plants at the United States Botanic Garden here.

Solidago stricta, or wand goldenrod, is a native of New Jersey's coastal
wetlands. "But it's very adaptable. I have it blooming at home, in dry
clay, right now," said Bill McLaughlin, the garden's curator of living
collections. "It's the plant I name when the local rock garden society
asks, 'What's blooming in your garden in January?'"

See the link above for the full article text.