[PCA] WEB: A Reintroduction Registry, Symposium Review, and Online Bibliography (fwd)

Olivia Kwong plant at plantconservation.org
Thu Feb 19 19:40:54 CST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:01:22 -0600
From: Rick Luhman <Rick.Luhman at mobot.org>
Subject: A Reintroduction Registry, Symposium Review, and Online Bibliography

ANNOUNCING CENTER for PLANT CONSERVATION's 25th ANNIVERSARY, ONLINE
REGISTRY, AND INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM OCTOBER 22-23, 2009

In celebration of its 25th Anniversary, the Center for Plant
Conservation (CPC) is developing a multi-part project to re-examine and
share the experience of the Center's 36 participating institutions and
the greater restoration community in restoration attempts for imperiled
plant populations in the wild.

An online registry for reintroduction projects

CPC has designed and will maintain an online registry and survey of
imperiled plant reintroduction projects (using the word inclusively to
encompass population augmentation, reintroduction, or introduction).
This searchable registry is designed to facilitate sharing of
information and communication among workers in this area of restoration
science, by recording project information, old or new, successful or
disappointing, around the world.

We invite your participation in the registry. Adding information about
your reintroduction trials will contribute to a metadata set that will
be analyzed for an upcoming international CPC 2009 Symposium.  To make
it as useful as possible, we seek data on plants with diverse life
histories reintroduced into diverse locations and under a variety of
circumstances using a variety of techniques.  Our goal is to generate a
meaningful review of reintroductions, their successes and failures,
promises and deliveries. It is our intention that understanding these
patterns can contribute to plant conservation efforts around the world.
The more participation we have, the better conclusions we can make.

You may gain access to the registry through
http://www.centerforplantconservation.org/reintroduction/MN_reintroducti
onentrance.asp.  Please obtain a username and password by contacting
Rick.Luhman at mobot.org.   The information collection screens allow for
the entry of relatively detailed information, which will be placed in a
database and archived, but note that only a summary of the project will
appear in the online registry. View the registry project summaries at:
http://www.centerforplantconservation.org/reintroduction/viewreintroduct
ionlist.asp. Additional information will be available by request, as
approved for sharing by the project registrant(s).  Please note that we
will not publish or display on the website any sensitive information
about these plants (such as traceable location information).  Your
project will be listed in the format shown, additional data shared with
your permission, and a link back to your own home website will be
provided if you wish. Participation is voluntary and will not supplant
any other publications you may plan for your work. The registry entry
screens include a box to check at the end of the survey to indicate your
interest in collaborating.  However, for work to be included in the data
analysis, the registry data entry must be completed by March 6.

An online annotated bibliography

This project will also provide a keyword searchable online
reintroduction bibliography, similar to our ecotype bibliography,
http://www.centerforplantconservation.org/ASP/CPC_GCERBRefTopicList.asp.
We are interested in collecting as much literature as possible,
including both peer reviewed and gray literature.  If you have
publications that you would like to draw to our attention in addition to
any publications that you register with your projects in the registry,
please email that information to Rick.Luhman at mobot.org.

Save the Date!  October 22-23, 2009.  International CPC symposium,
Evaluating Plant Reintroductions as a Plant Conservation Strategy:  Two
Decades of Evidence  Saint Louis,  MO.