[PCA] NEWS: Helping to re-plant the prairie

Marianne Edain wean at whidbey.net
Thu Feb 12 18:26:12 CST 2009

	One of the biggest problems we have in restoration work is in
defining the term "restoration." The first question, of course, is:
"restore to what?" We talk about reference sites and reference native
plant communities, and that restoration implies bringing a site back
to what it once was. So first you need to know what it once was -
which begs the question of when it was.

	Here in the Pacific Northwest, as in other parts of the
country, when white folks arrived, they put a stop to the native
practice of burning the prairies. The obvious result was that first
shrubs and then trees took over areas which had been kept in prairie
for thousands of years. Early in the 20th century our particular area
was logged, leaving a very few patches of remnant old growth Douglas
fir forest. Much of the historical Doug fir forest grew back. There
is a distinctive difference between historical Douglas fir forest and
forest which grew on prairie soils after burning was stopped. After
the great clearing of the 1880s - 1920s, many former forests were
converted to farm land, brush fields, or developed uses.

	So, when we talk about restoring a site with prairie soils
which grew up in Doug fir forest but is now pretty solid weedy exotic
grasses, to what are we restoring it? We could plant a few thousand
Doug firs and create another tree farm, or we could slowly and
laboriously deal with the soil seed bank of all those exotic grasses
and bring back the native prairie bunch grasses and the spectacular
camas fields.

	In fact, that's what we and some wonderful people are doing
on a 150 acre parcel which is the last restorable piece of Northern
Puget Trough Glacial Outwash Prairie. It is long, hard, slow,
laborious work, and it doesn't pay - except in wild excitement at
discovery of yet another small patch of Brodiea howellii, returning
Festuca roemeri in areas where the shrubs have been burned (and
occasionally herbicided) out, and the spectacular spring displays
which grow year after year as more of the shrubs are removed and the
natives find themselves more and more welcome.

	Even then, how can we be sure that what we are creating is
similar to what was here before the plow? We may know generally what
species were present, but can we know their relative abundance? We
know, for instance, that the native people ate camas as a staple, and
that death camas (Zygadenus venenosus) bulbs look very similar in
mid-late summer after the stalks have dried, when the bulbs are dug.
We also know that, in order to avoid poisoning, the native people
systematically removed the death camas from areas where they
harvested regularly. And yet our site has a good deal of death camas.
Should we be removing it, as the native people did? To what extent
did their harvesting, with digging sticks, break up the soil and
provide the substrate for other prairie species? Should we be using
digging sticks out there? Should we be harvesting some of the camas
and other native food plants out there? How many of them?

	So many questions in restoration, and so little patience from
the people who own the land and pay the bills. Its so easy to go to
the Conservation District nursery and order  bundles of trees, and
accept all that praise from people who mean well but do not
understand the science.

	So how do we bring these questions of reference sites and
target communities into public consciousness and public discussion?

					Marianne Edain

--
Marianne Edain
Frosty Hollow Ecological Restoration