[PCA] Native pollinators might be able to do the job

Craig Dremann - Redwood City Seed Company Craig at astreet.com
Tue Sep 30 11:47:52 CDT 2008

Dear All,

I have been a bee keeper for three decades, but periodically I lose my
hive to swarming, winter cold, droughts, etc. and I notice a huge increase
in the native pollinators when the honey bees are gone.  The honey bees
are like big bullies, and take over the flowers from the native
pollinators.

However, a lot of the native pollinators may be mainly nectar lovers and
not pollen gatherers, like the honey bee, so their nectar-sipping may not
actually transfer much pollen.

If we were to substitute the native pollinators for the honey bees, we
would also need to create areas of permanent habitat near our almond
fields, etc. where they could live year-round.

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann, Redwood City, CA (650) 325-7333