[PCA] CALL: Papers for Phenology Session at EGU 2009 (Vienna, Austria)

Olivia Kwong plant at plantconservation.org
Thu Nov 13 16:30:06 CST 2008

****************************
Call for Papers: Phenology session at European Geosciences Union General
Assembly 2009
Vienna, Austria
19-24 April 2009
http://meetings.copernicus.org/egu2009/index.html

We cordially invite you to submit a contribution to the following session:

"Shifting Seasons: Phenological evidence from observations,
reconstructions, measurements and models (co-sponsored by PAGES & ILEAPS)"

The IPCC AR4 report from 2007 presented unequivocal evidence of regional
to global-scale change in seasonality, as evidenced by plant and animal
phenological records. Observations from all continents and several oceans
now show that many physical and biological natural systems are being
affected by regional climate change, particularly increases in
temperature. To allow a consistent global analysis, AR4 focused only on
significant trends from traditional phenological observations during the
20-year period between 1970 and 1990. However, there has been much
additional research in recent years that lends new insights into spatial
and temporal patterns of interrelationships between climate change and
organisms, with attendant impacts on carbon dynamics, species
interactions, biogeochemistry, etc. This new research has focused on novel
investigations of data, and the development and application of new methods
and techniques for investigation of phenology. However, robust
identification of long-term centennial phenological trends and of
systematic decadal fluctuations in biotic and abiotic variables
requires compilation and analysis of much longer time series from
historical evidence. Integration of historical and contemporary data, on
global scales, will be required to reliably understand the processes
underlying phenological dynamics. This session would also serve as an
opportunity to discuss and strategize on the development of a global
network of detailed regional and seasonal observations of phenology.

Therefore, we invite contributions with cross-disciplinary perspectives
that present seasonality changes based on recent plant and animal
phenological observations, historical documentary sources, or seasonality
measurements using climate data, remote sensing, flux measurements or
modelling studies. We seek contributions across spatial and temporal
scales that compare and integrate seasonality changes across methods
and that advance our understanding of seasonality response to long-term
climate change and single extreme events.

Please submit your contribution using the following link:
http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2009/session/303
Deadline: January 13 2009

Looking forward to seeing you in Vienna,

This Rutishauser, Universitat Autonoma, Barcelona (this at creaf.uab.es)
Annette Menzel, TU Mnchen (menzel at forst.tu-muenchen.de)
Jake Weltzin, US-National Phenology Network (jweltzin at usgs.gov)