[PCA] Celebration of the Rocky Shoals Spider Lily

Bert Pittman PittmanB at dnr.sc.gov
Tue May 20 12:20:17 CDT 2008

Dear Plant Conservation

If appropriate could you forward this  to the membership?  This event
will focus attention on the importance of plants to the health and
beauty of our cities and rivers.   This is an idea other plant
conservation organizations and communities may find useful.

Bert Pittman

It is not often that a city throws a party for a rare native plant
species, but this is what the city of Columbia ,S.C., and others are
doing for Hymenocallis coronaria (J. Le Conte) Kunth.  Most folks know
this plant by its common name, "rocky shoals spider lily."

I would like to invite you all to the Rocky Shoals Spider Lily Festival
scheduled for Saturday, May 31, 2008.  Conservation of the rocky shoals
spider lily and the protection of the River Vista Corridor here in
Columbia have involved a number of environmental groups over the years.
There will be nature walks, kayak and canoe clinics, plant sales, and
live music. Please see the attached pdf or the event flyer at
http://www.scnps.org/activities_mid.html for details and the full
agenda.

Hope to see you on the river.

Bert Pittman