[PCA] WEB: Ecological Society of America Statement on Biofuel Sustainability

Olivia Kwong plant at plantconservation.org
Wed Mar 12 13:55:45 CDT 2008

http://www.esa.org/pao/policyStatements/Statements/biofuel.php

Much attention is currently focused on the use of biofuels as an
alternative energy source, both to decrease U.S. dependence on foreign oil
supplies, and as a means of addressing one facet of global climate change.
Supplying the emerging biofuels industry with enough biomass to meet the
U.S. biofuel energy target -- replacing 30 percent of the current U.S.
petroleum consumption with biofuels by 2030 -- will have a major impact on
the management and sustainability of many U.S. ecosystems. Biofuels have
great potential, but the ecological impacts of their development and use
must be examined and addressed if they are to become a sustainable energy
source.

See the link above for the full article text.  ESA just held a Conference
on the Ecological Dimensions of Biofuels and if I see any proceedings or
other information from the conference, I will post those as well.