[PCA] NEWS: Wildflower rescue groups often operate one step ahead of developer bulldozers

Ellen Kuhlmann ekuhlmann at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 5 14:42:21 CST 2008

I agree w you Adolf, that most of plant salvage doesn't have a
long-term positive effect on the downward trajectory many of our
native habitats seem to be on.  Just about anyone who has worked in
mitigation knows that recreating wetlands or other native plant
communities is difficult to impossible.  You may be able to replicate
the functions, but not the plant community.  Salvaging plants that
are then incorporated into a garden may have some aesthetic or
educational aspects, but it doesn't in any way have the integrity
that a natural landscape has.  We should focus most efforts on
habitat conservation, and think of salvage as an auxiliary activity,
not as the salvation of the flowers.  This article showed the
enthusiasm of the people 'saving the flowers' vs. the caution of the
scientists, but it still came across overall as a pro-development
piece.  -Ellen Kuhlmann  Bellingham, WA