[PCA] NEWS: Wildflower rescue groups often operate one step ahead of developer bulldozers

Adolf Ceska aceska at telus.net
Tue Mar 4 10:15:34 CST 2008

What do you mean by "saving the flowers"? As the article indicates, most
"flowers" just cannot be saved. In Canada, or correctly speaking, in British
Columbia, we do not save the "flowers", we "salvage" them. But to what
point? With the crazy uncontrolled development around Victoria, many people
have gardens full of salvaged plants and are not really interested in
"salvaging" more of them.

Any development can get around the Environmental Assessment when the
so-called environmental consulting firm gives the developer 50 or so pages
copied directly from the "Harry Potter" and presents them as an
Environmental Impact Study. As the recent case in the City of Langford
development shows, you can sue the protesters on the base ofof such a nicely
looking Environmental Impact Study ("Harry Potter Study"), and put them in
the jail.

I heard about the case when the ecologists working on a pipeline route were
asked to "translocate" plants of Botrychium sp. The crew dug them up, never
mind that they did not get the corms, and stuck them away from the pipeline
route. Mission accomplished, and we can sleep without any bad dreams. As we
all know, it really does not matter too much, if you "translocate"
Botrychium plants with or without the corms, they will die regardless.

If you want to change the system, you have to start in Grade 4 to 7. The
curriculum of the Canadian schools require to know only one plant and that
is dandelion in those grades. I do not know what the situation is in the
USA, but I do not have too much illusions that it would be better.

Good luck,

Adolf

Adolf  Ceska, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Wildflower rescue groups often operate one step ahead of developer
bulldozers
The Canadian Press
16 hours ago

Before the bulldozers arrive, Jane Pausch is there to save the flowers.