[PCA] NEWS: Kathryn Kennedy, Ph.D., Receives Highest Conservation Award from Garden Club of America

Olivia Kwong plant at plantconservation.org
Fri Jul 25 10:54:25 CDT 2008

Center for Plant Conservation Press Release

For Immediate Release
Contact: Jo Meyerkord, 314-577-9541
Center for Plant Conservation,
Communications Coordinator

KATHRYN KENNEDY, PH.D, RECEIVES HIGHEST CONSERVATION
AWARD FROM GARDEN CLUB OF AMERICA

ST. LOUIS, Mo. -- The Center for Plant Conservation and the Garden Club of
St. Louis announces Kathryn L. Kennedy, Ph.D., received the Frances K.
Hutchinson Medal, one of the Garden Club of America's highest awards for
conservation. Kennedy joined the Center for Plant Conservation as its
president and executive director in Sept of 2000. The Center coordinates
and assists development of hands-on plant conservation programs in a
national network of 36 participating institutions. Kathryn coordinates the
Center's work from the national office in St. Louis, ensuring scientific
excellence and program development for the organization and its
institutions. Nominated by the Garden Club of St. Louis, Kennedy accepted
the medal in a ceremony in Norfolk, Va.

Prior to joining the Center for Plant Conservation, Kennedy had been
working toward the conservation of rare plants for over 20 years. "It is
not an overstatement to say that Kathryn's leadership, dedication, and
scientific brilliance have brought CPC to the front lines in the ongoing
struggle to save the earth's endangered plants," said Becky Fouke, the
Garden Club of St. Louis awards committee chairman.

"I'm thankful for GCA's support for my passion, the conservation and
restoration of America's vulnerable native plants. Nearly 25% of our
native flora is already at risk, and climate change brings new
challenges," said Kennedy. "Every plant lover makes a difference,
moderating energy use, sharing our love of native plants in our own
gardens, supporting conservation policies and budgets, and volunteering."

The Center for Plant Conservation is coordinated by a national office and
guided by a volunteer board of trustees and the experts of the CPC Science
Advisory Council. By developing standards and protocols and conducting
conservation programs in horticulture, research, restoration, and raising
awareness, CPC's network is striving to save America's rarest plants from
being lost forever. For additional information on the Center for Plant
Conservation visit the CPC website at
www.centerforplantconservation.org