[PCA] NEWS: Million Trees Project

Olivia Kwong plant at plantconservation.org
Wed Jan 23 13:44:34 CST 2008

----- Forwarded Message -----

http://www.livinglandsandwaters.org/milliontrees/default.htm

The MillionTrees Project is a new program of Living Lands & Waters (LL&W),
a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization based in East Moline, Illinois,
formed with the mission: to aid in the protection, preservation, and
restoration of the natural environment of our nation.s major rivers and
their watersheds; to expand awareness of environmental issues and
responsibility encompassing our rivers; and to create a desire and
opportunity for citizens to take an active role in helping to make a
cleaner river environment. For the last ten years, LL&W has focused its
efforts on cleaning up garbage littering America's big rivers. In 2003,
LL&W launched the next two phases of the project-restoring our rivers to a
more natural state by planting trees and removing invasive plants and
educating the public on the need to preserve and protect these natural
resources.

LL&W is now ready to take its restoration and education efforts to the
next level. Beginning in the fall of 2007, LL&W will plant seeds of native
hardwood trees at a nursery created on the property of long-time partner
Cargill, at its pork-processing plant in Beardstown, Illinois. Using a
rich compost mix produced at the plant as a soil enhancer, LL&W.s goal is
to grow 100,000 trees within the next 2-3 years and 1 MILLION trees within
the next 5-10 years. All trees will then be replanted along the shorelines
and islands of our major waterways, as well as within towns and cities
that have joined LL&W.s efforts.