[PCA] NEWS: 'Doomsday' seed and U.S. Collection Efforts

Mary_Byrne at blm.gov Mary_Byrne at blm.gov
Thu Feb 28 08:09:04 CST 2008

Dear PCA listserv,

   For the past seven years the Seeds of Success program, a PCA initiative
   coordinated by the Bureau of Land Management, has been working with the
   Millennium Seed Bank Project and many other domestic partners; Center
   for Plant Conservation, Chicago Botanic Garden, Greenbelt Native Plant
   Center, Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, New England Wildflower
   Society, North Carolina Botanical Garden, U.S. Forest Service, U.S. Fish
   and Wildlife Service, Virginia Native Plant Society, Zoological Society
   of San Diego, and many others to conserve the native flora of the United
   States.

   In addition to the single population stored at the Millennium Seed Bank,
   thousands of additional populations and collections are being stored in
   our domestic facilities, the USDA Agricultural Research Service's
   Western Regional Plant Introduction Station (Pullman, WA) and National
   Center of Genetic Resources Preservation (Ft. Collins, CO). Without
   these domestic storage partners much of the Seeds of Success National
   Collection would not have a home, and the conservation of the genetic
   diversity found in these thousands of wildland native seed collections
   from across the country would be impossible.

   To date Seeds of Success has made over 5,000 native seed collections,
   and will continue to add to the collection.

   If you have any questions regarding Seeds of Success, the national
   native seed collection program, feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Mary

Mary K. Byrne
Seeds of Success
National Collections Data Manager
202-452-7767
www.nps.gov/plants/sos/

             MALawler at aol.com
             Sent by:
             native-plants-bou                                          To
             nces at lists.plantc         agschrum at mindspring.com,
             onservation.org           plant at plantconservation.org
                                                                        cc
                                       native-plants at lists.plantconservati
             02/27/2008 05:47          on.org,
             PM                        sos at lists.plantconservation.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [PCA] NEWS: 'Doomsday' seed and
                                       Millenium Seedbank

Please see this website for information on the Millenium Seedbank Project
that Kew Gardens is involved in along with numerous organizations
worldwide.  Native Plant Societies and others are helping collect native
seeds for this project.

Mary Ann Lawler, VNPS

In a message dated 2/27/2008 8:46:20 A.M. Central Standard Time,