[PCA] NEWS: 'Doomsday' seed vault opens in Norway

Joe-Ann McCoy JMcCoy at NCARBORETUM.ORG
Wed Feb 27 09:35:11 CST 2008

I think the initial plan was to conserve only crop related species but it is my understanding that they're planning to expand the list.  I currently have ~50 medicinal taxa from the ARS USDA collection in the Svalbard Seed Bank.  I'm also planning to meet with Cary Fowler the second week of March to discuss backing up my new medicinal collection there.  I'll ask Cary about the native flora and let you know how that goes.
Joe-Ann

Joe-Ann McCoy, PhD
Director,  Medicinal Germplasm Repository
Bent Creek Institute / NCSU
The North Carolina Arboretum
100 Frederick Law Olmsted Way
Asheville, NC 28806-9315
828-665-2492 ext. 268  F 828-665-5409
 jmccoy at ncarboretum.org

-----Original Message-----
From: native-plants-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org
[mailto:native-plants-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org]On Behalf Of A
& T Schrum
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 9:18 PM
To: Olivia Kwong
Cc: native-plants at lists.plantconservation.org;
sos at lists.plantconservation.org
Subject: Re: [PCA] NEWS: 'Doomsday' seed vault opens in Norway

I saw the story on the news this evening.  What bothered me was that
only agricultural crops are being stored.  There is no way that the
planet will continue if it's planted only with corn, wheat, peanuts,
coffee (to be sure) and several other crops.  So lacking is the
understanding of plant communities and ecosystems it makes me sad enough
to cry.

--Theresa Schrum
www.eco-tlc.com

Olivia Kwong wrote:
> More coverage of the seed vault in Norway:
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/02/26/norway.seeds/index.html (video)
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/26/AR2008022600481.html?hpid=topnews
> (article)

Disclaimer
Posts on this list reflect only the opinion of the individual who is posting the message; they are not official opinions or positions of the Plant Conservation Alliance.