[PCA] Need info on std. template to profile life cycles of angiosperms -- reply to Gena Fleming's comments

bmacbryde at netscape.net bmacbryde at netscape.net
Mon Dec 29 08:44:52 CST 2008

Thanks for you inquiry, but no, the impetus for this standard template
is not to do an ecological evaluation of a crop, either iwithin or
beyond its planned area of use. Our interest is to have a simple
profile to characterize the basic life history dynamics of a species.
Also, we do not plan to have a relational database, simply written crop
profiles (crop agrobiology templates) based on the standard profile.
The organizing idea is not to look for species uniqueness, but the
commonality.

Of course, at some point the standardization will be inadequate, and we
expect to have minimal text fine-tuned to the crop. The great
complexity of the potential and likely interactions of a crop with its
environment, and of particular varietal traits whether the varieties
have been genetically engineered or conventionally developed, are way
beyond the scope of a template.

The reason for this inquiry on this listserv is to capture plant
people's knowledge and experience so that we don't waste time
reinventing the wheel for a basically simple idea and need. Profiling
rare plants, or medicinal plants, or weeds and invasives, might
possibly have a similar high-level standard template.

The many complex and broader topics and issues raised in your email
would have to be addressed carefully in different ways, not as part of
the standard plant template idea. I hope this clarifies the subject in
relation to your thorough and deep c
oncerns.

Thanks,

Bruce MacBryde, Ph.D.