[PCA] Need info on std. template to profile life cycles of angiosperms -- reply to Peter Rauch's inquiry

Gena Fleming genafleming at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 01:01:13 CST 2008

Noting that all the plants you mentioned have been genetically engineered,
and APHIS is responsible for processing their De-regulation

(see:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/biotechnology/content/printable_version/BRS_FS_biodereg_02-06.pdf
),
would another more transparent way of saying this perhaps be that you are
trying to limit (or at least justify that you have tried to assess the
inevitable) contamination of other crops as well as indigenous species (such
as guayule) by genetically engineered plants (including but not limited to
the few you mentioned here) that are being evaluated for field trials and
eventually complete deregulation by the USDA?  Plants that may contain
vaccines, hormones or other pharmaceuticals;  herbicide tolerance,
industrial chemicals or pesticides, or have been engineered for partial
sterility?   So you want to know what other species they might cross
pollinate with (spreading the contamination, including spreading of
fertility problems)?  Or whether the genetically engineered seeds might lay
dormant in the ground for years and years and then suddenly pop up
contaminating other plants unexpectedly?

What about the increased horizontal gene transfer that can be expected with
transgenic plants?  What about animals that may eat the seeds and carry them
to diverse locations?  What about pollen and seed dispersal through
tornadoes and floods?  What about pollen that kills pollinators?  What about
animals that wander or fly into fields and inadvertently consume vaccines
and human hormones now growing in these plants?  What about cold tolerant
eucalyptus and other trees that could now become invasive?  What about Bt
toxin that kills off beneficial soil micro-organisms?  How do we get our
heirloom crops back when they are contaminated with DNA from other genera
and kingdoms?  How do we ever reclaim the native guayule?  How do we assess
whether a forest tree has been contaminated by a genetically altered tree of
the same species?  How can we trace genetic contamination?  How can you
possibly account for all the variables when growing these plants in the
open?  And all those genetically engineered trials that are simply
designated by APHIS as "CBI" (confidential business information), I guess
we'll never know what they have been genetically engineered to contain.

Nature is an integrated system.   How can a database possibly account for
all the potential effects from the changes being introduced by genetic
engineering:

http://www.isb.vt.edu/cfdocs/isblists2.cfm?opt=8

And yet you write, "We then envision preparing brief (several
page) biological documents (profiles) on individual species, which would
adhere tightly to the standard template. The results for a species would be
something like the Cliffs Notes, but much shorter."

Corporations are corrupting our world's precious life forms, patenting them
as commodities, placing the entire regenerative and reproductive capacity of
life on this planet at risk, and your concern is compiling documents on
species that are "like Cliffs notes, but much shorter"?

The USDA is responsible for allowing this to happen.  But let it not be in
my name.

Gena Fleming