[PCA] NEWS: Making Sense of Science Reporting

Olivia Kwong plant at plantconservation.org
Sat Dec 6 10:13:48 CST 2008

This article is not specifically referring to plants, but it's still
relevant to how we communicate with the public.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/05/AR2008120502959.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

Making Sense of Science Reporting
By Deborah Howell
Sunday, December 7, 2008; Page B06

The job of science reporters is to take complicated subjects and translate
them for readers who are not scientifically sophisticated. Critics say
that the news media oversimplify and aren't skeptical enough of financing
by special interests.

That led me to review papers that are to be published soon as part of a
project sponsored by the American Academy of Arts and Sciences on how the
media cover science and technology, and to interview a half-dozen experts,
from scientists to teachers of science writing. Here's my take:

See the link above for the full article text.