[PCA] NEWS: Clearing forests for biofuel hurts climate: study

Gena Fleming genafleming at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 18:40:32 CST 2008

Hi:

No, it is not a good idea to clear forests.  It is also not a good idea to
genetically modify trees to make them more profitable to the biofuel
industry and cultivate them in plantations.

In addition, corporations can get "carbon credits" for planting trees, which
reduces the pressure on them to reduce emissions.  And they are genetically
modifying trees to sequester more carbon, so they can get more credits.
(For example, Toyota is doing this.)

Trees are also being engineered to be pest resistant and herbicide tolerant
--- both of these are sure to have effects on other plants, soil
microorganisms and pollinators.

And to "prevent contamination", sterility is being introduced into the GM
trees.

And if the sterility genes "escape", then I guess we would have sterile
trees.

For example, no acorns.

I have no information that oak trees are being modified yet, but that's
little assurance to me that it's not being done.  Also, since many of these
trees are transgenic (which is to say their genomes have been invaded with
with DNA from unlike species, genera or even other kingdoms, --- who knows
what kind of horizontal gene transfer is now taking place?

This is just one big experiment, and it's one that can not be called back.

Here's a link to an article on GM trees.

http://globaljusticeecology.org/stopgetrees_about.php?ID=117

Gena Fleming