[PCA] Assistance Needed For Conservation Project [Mints]

Larry Morse larry.morse.dc at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 13 15:31:02 CDT 2008

Botresearch Folk,

This all seems good at first glance, but I'm sure many PCA members share my
concerns about scattering propagated seed (or plants) of rare/endangered
species into wild places, whether or not the plant grows there already.

This is basically a no-no as a conservation practice now, except in
carefully designed, professionally guided enhancements,
restorations/reintroductions, or deliberate outplantings (introductions),
done with landowner permission and cooperation.  There has been a lot of
great discussion among PCA people recently about this -- I suggest that you
review that, esp. cited policy documents, before proceeding with any seed
dispersal.  A variety of legal considerations may also apply, some with
quite severe penalties.

Instead, y'all might continue to explore providing plants or seeds to
schools, nature centers, public gardens, etc., for educational use, with
provisions/understandings that the plants won't be put into wild places
without appropriate oversight and permissions/permits.

Larry Morse
(Formerly Chief Botanist, The Nature Conservancy)

Larry Morse
Washington, D.C.
larry.morse.dc at earthlink.net
(Larry.E.Morse at LEM-Natural-Diversity.com)
(202)-543-2488
< http://www.lem-natural-diversity.com/ >