[PCA] CONFERENCE: Eastern Native Grass Symposium Website/first call for participation

Olivia Kwong plant at plantconservation.org
Wed Apr 23 15:31:06 CDT 2008

The 6th Eastern Native Grass Symposium will be held in Columbia, SC.
October 7 - 10, 2008.  We invite you to participate in this important
forum on the many issues facing our wonderful native grasslands in
the Eastern US and Canada.  We are planning an excellent array of
plenary presenters; oral and poster presentations on research,
outreach and experiences; hands-on applied workshops; and a set of
field trips into the varied geography of our State.  Our cast of
plenary speakers is designed to spark thorough-going discussion into
many aspects of preserving, restoring and managing our native
grassland communities here in the East.  A partial list of subject
areas includes natural grassland communities, as well as management
of grasslands for wildlife, livestock and bio-fuel potential.

The field trips will be a real treat.  South Carolina has been called
the most bio-diverse state in the US, when you consider our small
size.  We have a very diverse physiography, and we have numerous
instances of plant species at their northernmost or southernmost
occurrence.  We have a large array of Natural Heritage Preserves,
managed by our Department of Natural Resources.  We will also see
management research, seed source development, and natives-based
wildlife enterprises.

So, if you are in research or Extension, government, agriculture,
industry, or an environmental or gardening group, we think you will
find your interest area well represented at our Symposium.  For more
information about the Symposium, and a call for papers and other
participation, see
<http://www.clemson.edu/~bstrngr/E_Native_Grass%A0>www.clemson.edu/~bstrngr/E_Native_Grass

   Instructions are provided for submitting title/summaries for oral
and poster presentations.

A registration form will be available in the very near future, as
will instructions for commercial, agency or organizational
exhibitors. We look forward to your visit to South Carolina, and a
wonderful opportunity to talk about native grasslands.

Please circulate this e-mail among your colleagues and anyone you
think might be interested.

Thanx

The Planning Committee in South Carolina

Bill Stringer, John Andrae, Greg Yarrow.
Thanx

Bill Stringer

William C. Stringer
President
South Carolina Native Plant Society
<http://www.scnps.org/>www.scnps.org

PO Box 491
Norris, SC 29667

Clemson University
Entomology, Soils and Plant Science
864 656 3527
bstrngr at clemson.edu

"Go my Sons, burn your books.  Buy yourself stout shoes.  Get away to
the mountains, the valleys, the shores of the seas, the deserts, and
the deepest recesses of the earth.  In this way and no other will you
find true knowledge of things and their properties."

Peter Severinus, 16th. century Dane educator