[PCA] SL Trib 9/18/07 article - ongoing discussion re: fire/reseeding issues

Addsum-Tony Frates afrates at addsuminc.com
Mon Sep 24 13:11:11 CDT 2007

Craig - thanks for your post.

Locally the BLM is being criticized, unfairly, for not having
previously added Kochia prostrata in the mix.

One further reference:

http://kochiaseed.com/whatisit.html

(note it encourages crested wheatgrass as a companion species)

Its "native" status aside, we have concerns about a widespread
introduction of this species.   In light of the huge Milford Flats
fire, the BLM will be under great pressure to "do something."
Sufficient quantities of native seed will not exist (nor is it clear
that should be the approach even if sufficient supplies of
local/appropriate seed were available).   Research thus far seems to
favor use of the exotic forage kochia, and some see it as the magic
solution.   So, I would be interested to hear the views of others
with respect to forage kochia specifically, and whether they feel its
use should be encouraged at some level.

Hopefully the dialog on this topic will continue.

Tony Frates
Utah Native Plant Society