[PCA] FW: RE: [Ecology] FW: Great Basin ecosystems, pinyon forests and cheatgrassfires

penny at pinenut.com penny at pinenut.com
Fri Sep 14 09:17:22 CDT 2007

Greetings All,

It is a pleasure to see this discussion.  I would add that prior to grazing
in the Great Basin, there was a tremendous destruction of the pinyon forest
as fuel wood for the silver mining industry's smelters.  See Tom Straka,
WARD CHARCOAL OVENS' AND NEVADA'S CARBONARI.Environmental History 11 (April
2006): 344-349. http://www.pinenut.com/straka_eh11.2-1.pdf

These pinyon are very slow growing taking up to 150 years to reach seed
bearing maturity.  In the mid -60's almost 4 million acres of the pinon
forest was converted to grazing land in the Southwest. As the deforestation
occured problems with fire intensified.  As a whole, the response has been
further deforestation. Currently there is a 70,000 acre treatment plan in
Nevada, which continues to echo the less trees, less fire approach to
restoration.  The pinon trees do counter balance the fuel loads, cool the
earth, hold water in the system and play the keystone role in environmental
health of the region. Yet, the solutions have been compounding the problem.

I completely agree that the lack of good science has created poor policy in
the Great Basin, http://www.pinenut.com/badscience.htm

Penny Frazier
Goods From The Woods
www.pinenut.com