[PCA] NEWS:Invasive weed fire in Utah, may be missing part of story?

penny at pinenut.com penny at pinenut.com
Tue Sep 4 09:52:55 CDT 2007

Craig and list members-
Craig, I very much apperciate your hard work and wish to echo your insight.
For the last 13 years I have been participating in land planning via public
comments. Whenever the pinyon trees are removed, cheatgrass invades. Yet,
the reduction of fuels in the Great Basin always equates to treating pinyon
trees, which cool the soil and helps hold moisture in the region. Poor
science created a history of poor policy and we have yet to understand the
impact of deforestation of the Great Basin.

Here is yet another example of continued misguided fuels treatment:
http://news.rgj.com:80/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070801/FERNLEY01/708010325/1306/BIZ01

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Carson City Field Office, has proposed
a vegetation treatment project on 2,625 acres of public land in the Pine Nut
Mountains southeast of Dayton and northwest of Mason Valley.

In 2001, more than 160,000 acres of pinyon fuels  treatment was planned for
Nevada. This was stopped thanks to the hard work of many people. However,
tree treatment continues just  in piecemeal projects like the one above and
the 4,500 acre Winz Creek Wildland Interface project done via CX.

As an aside, the pinyon nuts I work with have no harvest this year. This is
the first time in the 13 years I have been doing pinyon work that there were
no nuts (hence no reproduction).

Penny Frazier

Goods From The Woods

www.pinenut.com