[PCA] COURSE: Eastern North American Bee ID Workshop 10-14 Dec '07 (Beltsville, MD)

Olivia Kwong plant at plantconservation.org
Mon Oct 29 12:44:31 CDT 2007

----- Forwarded Message -----

Greetings:

Rob Jean (Missouri Department of Conservation) and Sam Droege (USGS
Patuxent Wildlife Research Center)  will again be hosting a bee
identification workshop at USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center.  The
dates for this Fall's workshop will be December 10-14, 2007.  Pertinent
information is attached below.  Similar to last year there is no charge
and participants are accepted on a first-come first-serve basis.  The
emphasis is on learning to identify Eastern North American bees to
species. There are currently 8 slots open.

Email me if you have questions.

Thanks

sam

Sam Droege  Sam_Droege at USGS.GOV
w 301-497-5840 h 301-390-7759 fax 301-497-5624
USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD  20705
Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

"It's a good thing we don't get all the government we pay for." Will
Rogers

Native Bee Identification Workshop

Native Bee Inventory and Monitoring Laboratory
USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
Laurel, Maryland

December 10 - December 14

Sam Droege
USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center

Rob Jean
Missouri Department of Conservation

Objectives:  Our overall objective is to create a pool or researchers,
technicians, and advanced amateurs who can accurately identify bees for
both their studies and more importantly for others, whether for pay or
not.   Lack of institutional identification experience has led to many
errors in native bee research and monitoring and currently limits the
creation of any extensive monitoring programs.  The status of most bee
populations is currently completely unknown.  Participants in this
workshop can change that.

Number of participants:  10

Facilities:  Our laboratory is located on the campus of the USDA
Beltsville Research Center.  The agriculture campus is approximately
24,000 acres of agriculture, research facilities, and native habitats.
Patuxent Wildlife Research Center and National Wildlife Refuge are
immediately adjacent and represent another 15,000 acres of high quality
bee habitat.  We will be using our lab room, which houses our collection
and specimens and another lab room nearby for expansion space.
Participants will have complete access to the collection, computers, and
instructors throughout the time.  Additionally, we have a large collection
of surplus bees that are available to all participants to take back with
them.

Cost and Daily Logistics:  There is no cost to attend this workshop.
Lodging and food costs are borne by the participants.  In the building
there is a complete kitchen with stove, microwave, and refrigerators.
There are a variety of restaurants nearby that will deliver ethnic and
traditional food.

Coffee will be available at all times!

Daily Schedule:  A combination of lab, talks, discussions, and lots of
microscope and guide work.  Microscope work and identification guides will
be emphasized.

The lab will be open throughout the day and night; the instructors will
arrive before 9:00 a.m. At 9:00 a.m. each day we will meet and discuss the
options for the day and the remainder of the week.

In addition to plenty of time investigating specimens under microscopes,
the following topics will be covered during twice daily talks/discussions:

December 10 - Introduction to bee terminology, identification strategies,
genera characteristics, genera gestalts, microscope use

December 11 - Introduction to bowl trapping, netting, processing of
specimens, databasing, information and collection management

December 12 - Genera life histories, relative abundance, distribution

December 13 - Work on specimens - Supper and party at Sam's

December 14 - Survey Techniques - Work on specimens and wrap-up

Daily Schedule:

9:00 a.m. - Participants work with specimens and guides with instructor's
guidance

10:30 a.m. - Lecture by Sam Droege or Rob Jean on issues of bee taxonomy,
bee natural history, statistical sampling, bee identification work, field
techniques

Noon - Lunch

1:00 p.m. - Participants work with specimens and guides with instructor's
guidance

2:30 p.m. - Another lecture by Sam Droege or Rob Jean on issues of bee
taxonomy, bee natural history, statistical sampling, bee identification
work, field techniques

3:30 - 6:00 p.m. - Participants work with specimens and guides with
instructor's guidance

Directions and a map to Patuxent are at the link below, but please note
you will want to go to the Beltsville Laboratory not the Main Campus.  We
are in room 124 and you do not need to get a visitor's pass as indicated:

http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/aboutus/direct.cfm

Local lodging is listed at the web site below:

http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/aboutus/lodging.cfm

Things to bring:

* Specimens you would like to identify
* Pins
* Specimen Boxes - Specimen boxes and pins will be available for a small
fee

* Note that we will have at least 4 very high quality microscopes here as
well as 6 of the standard type of microscopes and lights.  You may want to
bring your own microscope and light both because it will be familiar to
you and because it may be better than our standard scopes.

* If you have them: Michener et al.'s book on the Bee Genera of North
America (available for sale at www.knoxcellars.com) and, in particular,
Mitchell's 2 volumes on the Bees of the East (out of print but sometimes
available via used book stores) will be useful.  Single copies of both
will be available.

Contact Information:

Please contact Sam Droege at:
Work 301-497-5840