[PCA] Plant Blindness - Why don't people see plants?

Steve Erickson wean at whidbey.net
Wed Oct 24 18:54:54 CDT 2007

At the risk of sticking my foot in it, this seems to me to be
evolutionarily based. In most hunter-gatherer cultures,
hunters (seeking animals) are usually male and gatherers
(seeking mostly plants) are female.
-Steve

> Our 1998 study of 274 US students drawn from grades 4-7
in a major metropolitan area indicated that: (a) student
interest in animals led plants by approximately a 2:1 margin;
(b) girls were more likely than boys to express an interest in
learning about plants; and (c) of the nearly 300 students we
queried, only about 7% spontaneously expressed a scientific
interest in plants—and of that 7%, about two-thirds were
girls.
Frosty Hollow Ecological Restoration
Helping Nature Heal
Box 53