[PCA] P.S. - Price per acre correction, for fires in southern California

Craig Dremann - Redwood City Seed Company Craig at astreet.com
Mon Nov 26 20:05:36 CST 2007

Dear Rick and All,

A reader of this list-server pointed out that I had not put enough zeros
in the price of reseeding after fire in my last email.

To reseed local native perennial grasses and perennial herbaceous
(non-shrub) plants that belong in that ecosystem, after fires or "preseed"
before fires in southern California canyonsides, is $5,000 (five thousand)
per acre, especially on steep canyon sides.

If you go out and look in the next month in the burn areas, you will see
the native perennial grasses, with a high percentage probably
surviving---maybe 80-90% of the stands---whereas the shrubs may resprout
at a very low 1-5% survival rate, helping cause the mudslides, if there is
rain this winter.

You can see a picture of a stand of perennial native grasses that are
resprouting only one month after a fire, at
http://www.ecoseeds.com/per.nativegrass_green.JPG

The other good quality that the local native perennial grasses
provide---if a fire goes through, it burns significantly cooler than a
pure-shrub fire.

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann (650) 325-7333