[PCA] NEWS: Rare orchid found at UK industrial site

megan haidet mahaidet at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 12:42:48 CST 2007

An article from today's BBC news:

From:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/tayside_and_central/7081306.stm

Rare orchids found growing on a spoil tip next to an
old coal mine could represent "evolution in progress",
according to experts. The orchids, known as Young's
Helleborine, or Epipactis Youngiana, only grow at 10
locations in the UK.

Experts believe they took root at Almond Bing, near
Falkirk, almost as soon as the last miners left in the
mid-1980s.

Only two sites in Scotland are known to support the
rare flowers.

Each of the 10 areas of the UK on which the flower is
found are former industrial sites.

Industrial landscape

Research suggests the species is a newly-developed
variety of the more common Broadleaved Helleborine.

The finding could mean that the Broadleaved
Helleborine has adapted itself to suit the
inhospitable terrain of an old pit bing.

Plant experts working at the bing said the flowers
showed evolution in action.

They have harvested thousands of miniscule seeds from
the pink plants' green seedpods in an attempt to
understand more about them.

Craig Macadam, biodiversity officer at Falkirk
Council, said the plant "thrived" in the tough
conditions at the bing, next to the former
Muiravonside Colliery, which was flooded during the
miners' strike of 1985 and later abandoned.

"This particular species is found at less than ten
places across the UK - with only this one in Falkirk
and another in West Lothian in Scotland," he said.

"The rest are spread across England and Wales."

Half of the seeds have been sent off to labs for
further research by the UK Hardy Orchid Society, based
at Oxford, while the rest have been replanted in other
areas of former colliery bings to examine how they
grow.

'Future generations'

Mr Macadam added: "They seem to thrive on
post-industrial landscapes and Almond Bing is just
ideal for that.

"We don't know exactly how they got there, but we
think they have been dormant in the soil and when the
soil has been disturbed they have grown through the
soil.

"The bing is covered in trees and other kinds of
growth, but these orchids are unique."

Suzanne Cooper, spokeswoman for leading Plant
protection charity Plantlife Scotland, said it was
important to monitor rare plants to preserve them for
future generations.

She added: "We will be excited to see what happens,
both to the seeds being propagated and those that have
been sown on site.

"We hope the information we obtain will help Plantlife
Scotland to give the right advice about the
conservation of these plants here at Almond Bing and
other similar sites."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/tayside_and_central/7081306.stm

Published: 2007/11/06 15:42:35 GMT