[PCA] FW: [Botany] using search dogs to locate rare plants

Larry Morse larry.morse.dc at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 1 13:18:23 CDT 2007

>From Steve Young of New York Heritage. --  LEM

Larry Morse
Washington, D.C.
larry.morse.dc at earthlink.net
(Larry.E.Morse at LEM-Natural-Diversity.com)
(202)-543-2488
< http://www.lem-natural-diversity.com/ >

have always thought it would be a good possibility but never pursued it
until now.

> I recently corresponded with an organization who trains dogs to locate
invasive plants and asked them about work looking for rare plants. Here is
their response.

> Yes, we have thought about it and are currently doing it. We've been
working
> in Oregon this past year training detection dogs to locate rare prairie
> plants. Were just in the beginning stages of training and testing but
things
> look very promising. I'd be happy to share our final report with you once
> we've completed the project. We should have all our results complied by
> summer/fall of 2008.
>
> We have no contacts there that are involved in detection work, but if you
> have specific questions or think you might want to pursue using trained
dog
> handler teams on specific plants then feel free to contact me.
>
> Best regards, Alice
>
> Alice Whitelaw
> Working Dogs for Conservation Foundation
> 52 Eustis Road
> Three Forks, Montana  59752
> 406-285-9019
> wd4c at imt.net
>
> www.workingdogsforconservation.org
>

> Steve Young
> Chief Botanist
> New York Natural Heritage Program
> 625 Broadway, 5th Floor
> Albany, NY 12233-4757
>
> 518-402-8951
> 518-402-8925 FAX
> smyoung at gw.dec.state.ny.us
> website: www.nynhp.org
>
> The New York Natural Heritage Program is a partnership between The Nature
Conservancy and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.