[PCA] A Story: Why the Feds. still sowing 1/2 million pounds exotics a year?

Craig Dremann craig at astreet.com
Fri May 11 10:32:32 CDT 2007

Dear All,

I received a very interesting story, giving some answers to the
question, "Why is the Federal government still sowing at least 1/2
million pounds of exotic seeds per year, in our public lands?"

This story is a powerful, on-the-ground look at what we have to deal
with, regarding the continued massive annual use of exotic seeds by the
Federal government.

The writer wishes to remain anonymous, and has given me permission to
Post the message below, to help our discussions of this topic.

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann, Redwood City, CA (650) 325-7333

When I was working for the Federal government a few years ago,  I was
shown an Executive Order from President Clinton, for all agencies who
worked on land management to work to remove all alien species from
Federal lands and waters.

The Federal employees were incensed, because they had worked most of
their lives to develop plants like  multiflora rose, bush honeysuckle,
crown vetch, and autumn olive - even  kudzu - with the idea that the
plants would help lower erosion and increase wildlife habitat.

At the same time, I read the introduction to the Federal DOT roadside
management guide (a formidable tome) where it instructs reconstruction
and  new construction to be seeded with local native species . . . (oh
geez - now  we get back to the discussion of what is local? and what is
native? - but these are not the issues here).

The point is that the country and the systems are so big that
Presidental Executive orders can come down, but the people managing the
local efforts will do what has always been done because there is no
personal consequence - The manager will retire next year anyway so to
him,he just wants to cover the ground and be done.

It is difficult to get the "good soldier" government worker to think
outside what he has been instructed to do. Old school lines of thought
tend to die with the thinkers. I'm not saying this is right - just
reality in the recent past. As new students graduate with (hopefully)
more  enlightened training, they will get jobs in the agencies and work
to change policies and practices.