[PCA] Wildflower Seed Postcards, only 1/1000th as bad as the Federal government? mix"

Cheshire_Mayrsohn at blm.gov Cheshire_Mayrsohn at blm.gov
Thu May 3 14:41:00 CDT 2007

I think is really getting at the scale of the problem..  Yes these
postcards are a vector for plant introductions, but let's talk about seed
planted in large quantities that has seed into there than what is listed.

Then, there is the nursery trade and the deliberate introduction of species
who's invasiveness in North America is unknown.  Many of our "badies" came
in as someone's pet plant,  ex. Scot's Broom, Patterson's Curse, Gorse,
Butterfly bush, etc. I go to nurseries and see more species of Centauras,
False brome and other known and potential "nasties" for sale.

I'd rather pick a battle that would have larger impact.

As to the seed postcards, the parks should and can have rules for their
giftshops not to sell anything that could be a potential problem. We need
to get to the heads of the parks and their consessions and the buyers for
the gift shops and educate them that this is a problem. I know that park
concessionaires like Zanterra pride themselves on being "green". We need to
educate them that this is a part of being green, just like recycling. If
there no longer is a demand for these postcards, no one will make them and
the problem goes away.

As to the seeds on federal lands, some agencies are working on using truly
native seed, native species from a local provence.

Cheshire Mayrsohn