[PCA] FR NOTICE: Comment Period opens for critical habitat designation of Pecos Sunflower

Megan_Haidet at fws.gov Megan_Haidet at fws.gov
Tue Mar 27 14:06:22 CDT 2007

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
Fish and Wildlife Service
50 CFR Part 17
RIN 1018-AV02

Endangered and Threatened Wildlife and Plants; Proposed Designation
of Critical Habitat for the Pecos Sunflower (Helianthus paradoxus)

AGENCY: Fish and Wildlife Service, Interior.
ACTION: Proposed rule.

SUMMARY: We, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service), propose to
designate critical habitat for the Pecos sunflower (Helianthus
paradoxus) under the Endangered Species Act of 1973, as amended (Act).
In total, approximately 1579.3 acres (ac) (639.1 hectares (ha)) fall
within the boundaries of the proposed critical habitat designation.
Proposed critical habitat is located in Chaves, Cibola, Guadalupe,
Socorro, and Valencia Counties, New Mexico, and in Pecos County, Texas.

DATES: We will accept comments from all interested parties until May
29, 2007. We must receive requests for public hearings, in writing, at
the address shown in the ADDRESSES section by May 11, 2007.

ADDRESSES: If you wish to comment, you may submit your comments and
materials concerning this proposal by any one of several methods:
1. Submit written comments and information by mail or hand-delivery
to Wally ``J'' Murphy, Field Supervisor, U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Service, New Mexico Ecological Services Field Office, 2105 Osuna Rd NE,
Albuquerque, NM 87113.
2. Send comments by electronic mail (e-mail) to: <A
HREF="mailto:R2FWE_AL at fws.gov">R2FWE_AL at fws.gov</A>.
Please see the Public Comments Solicited section below for file
format and other information about electronic filing.
3. Fax your comments to 505/346-2542.
4. Go to the Federal eRulemaking Portal: <A
HREF="http://www.regulations.gov">http://www.regulations.gov</A>.
Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
Comments and materials received, as well as supporting
documentation used in the preparation of this proposed rule, will be
available for public inspection, by appointment, during normal business
hours at the New Mexico Ecological Services Field Office, 2105 Osuna Rd
NE, Albuquerque, NM 87113 (telephone 505/346-2525).

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Wally ``J'' Murphy, Field Supervisor,
New Mexico Ecological Services Field Office, 2105 Osuna Rd NE,
Albuquerque, NM 87113; telephone 505/346-2525; facsimile 505/346-2542.
Persons who use a telecommunications device for the deaf (TDD) may call
the Federal Information Relay Service (FIRS) at 800-877-8339.

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION:

Public Comments Solicited

We intend that any final action resulting from this proposal will
be as accurate and as effective as possible. Therefore, comments or
suggestions from the public, other concerned governmental agencies, the
scientific community, industry, or any other interested party
concerning this proposed rule are hereby solicited. Comments
particularly are sought concerning:
(1) The reasons any habitat should or should not be determined to
be critical habitat as provided by section 4 of the Act (16 U.S.C. 1531
et seq.), including whether the benefit of designation would outweigh
any threats to the species caused by designation;
(2) Specific information on the amount and distribution of
Helianthus paradoxus habitat, what areas should be included in the
designation that were occupied at the time of listing that contain
features essential for the conservation of the species and why, and
what areas that were not occupied at the listing are essential to the
conservation of the species and why;
(3) Land use designations and current or planned activities in the
subject areas and their possible impacts on proposed critical habitat;
(4) Any foreseeable economic, national security, or other potential
impacts resulting from the proposed designation and, in particular, any
impacts on small entities;
(5) Whether our approach to designating critical habitat could be
improved or modified in any way to provide for greater public
participation and understanding, or to assist us in accommodating
public concerns and comments; and
(6) The existence of any conservation or management plans being
implemented by public or private land management agencies or owners
that we should consider for exclusion from the designation pursuant to
section 4(b)(2) of the Act. Please include information on any benefits
(educational, regulatory, etc.) of including or excluding lands from
this proposed designation.
If you wish to comment, you may submit your comments and materials
concerning this proposal by any one of several methods (see ADDRESSES).
Please include ``Attn: Helianthus paradoxus'' in your e-mail subject
header and your name and return address in the body of your message. If
you do not receive a confirmation from the system that we have received
your message, contact us directly by calling our New Mexico Ecological
Services Field Office at 505/346-2525. Please note that the e-mail
address <A HREF="mailto:R2FWE_AL at fws.gov">R2FWE_AL at fws.gov</A> will be
closed out at the termination of the
public comment period.
Before including your address, phone number, e-mail address, or
other personal identifying information in your comment, you should be
aware that your entire comment--including your personal identifying
information--may be made publicly available at any time. While you can
ask us in your comment to withhold your personal identifying
information from public review, we cannot guarantee that we will be
able to do so.

To view the entire FR Notice, visit:
http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-SPECIES/2007/March/Day-27/e1396.htm