[PCA] Fw: Good news from the nursery industry!

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Mon Mar 26 09:47:43 CDT 2007

Forwarding the message below!

By the way, IPSAWG = Invasive Plant Species Assessment Work Group

---_

FYI, this press release on Meijer stores and their new initiative to help
consumers choose non-invasive plants for landscaping is going out today,
and I wanted you all to be aware of it.  Meijer is based in MI and they
approached TNC last year to discuss this idea.  They solicited input from
each state in their territory (MI, OH, IN, IL, and KY) on which species in
their current inventory should be dropped due to invasiveness, and which
species in the current inventory could be 'green certified' as
non-invasive.  I provided input from IPSAWG's assessments as to Indiana's
position on the invasiveness of plants in trade, and they considered that
along with input from the other states.  I've got to say, it was very nice
to have information to provide them that came from an objective,
consensus-based process rather than just personal opinion.  In the end,
they decided to drop Lombardy poplar and Norway maple from their sales
list, and several native plants they sell were certified non-invasive.
This is an ongoing discussion, so there will likely be more changes to
what
they sell next season.  Thanks to everyone who has helped assess species
through IPSAWG - these assessments and recommendations are turning out to
be very helpful.

Ellen M. Jacquart
Director of Stewardship
Indiana Chapter of The Nature Conservancy
1505 N. Delaware, Suite 200
Indianapolis, IN  46202
317-951-8818
fax - 317-917-2478