[PCA] Family Event Calendar-New England Wild Flower Society Garden in the Woods

Debra Strick dstrick at newfs.org
Wed Jun 20 16:04:45 CDT 2007

Dear Olivia,

As always, thanks for your interest in New England Wild Flower Society and for your support. Please let me know if you need images or more information on any of these SUMMER events for the whole family.  Here are updates for summer family events for late June and after, including our June 25  ANIMAL AMBASSADORS live animal show, and our ART GOES WILD exhibit with flying saucer gardens, music, a labyrinth and much more. at Garden in the Woods.  - See below for details.

I am on vacation the week of June 25, so please get in touch soon or in my absence, contact my colleagues Lisa Mattei at x 3502 at lmattei at newenglandWILD.org for images or Sarah Shonbrun at x 3103 or sshonbrun at newenglandWILD.org for story or listing information.

For ART GOES WILD details, including wonderful family performances, visit:
 http://www.newfs.org/artgoeswild/AGWpress.html <http://www.newfs.org/artgoeswild/AGWpress.html>  .
We have lots of great photos and lots of ideas for a family garden story, so do check back soon.

Happy Summer-DEB

Contact:  Debra Strick, Marketing and PR Director

dstrick at newenglandWILD.org

508-877-7630 x 3501 For images contact x 3502 Lisa Mattei

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SUMMER LISTINGS - New England Wild Flower Society

(FAMILY, NATURE, OUTDOORS, ART, MUSEUM, ATTRACTION, EVENTS)

STANDING ATTRACTION:  New England Wild Flower Society's Garden in the Woods trails, plant nursery, and museum store open for the Garden's 75th anniversary year . Now throughOctober 31 garden-wide exhibit,  "ART GOES WILD: Innovation with Native Plants," Featuring 1,500 native plant species including 200 rare and endangered species and 11 special destination gardens by landscape master W. Gary Smith. Many family displays and events included. Membership and purchases support conservation. 180 Hemenway Road, Framingham, MA. (508) 877-7630.  www.newenglandWILD.org <http://www.newenglandwild.org/> .  April 14-Aug 31: Open daily 9-7. Sept 1-October 31: Open daily 9-5.  Free parking. Tours weekdays at 10 am and weekends at 2 pm included with admission, no reservations required. Adults $7; Seniors and Students $5; Youths 6-18 $3; FREE for Members and children 5 and under.

SPECIALS:

Monday, June 25, 10 am

Rain or Shine  ANIMAL AMBASSADORS at New England Wild Flower Society's Garden in the Woods, "ANIMAL ADVENTURES,"  Live animal program for children with adult companion, includes a garden walk and the ART GOES WILD exhibit after the show. Meet a Canadian lynx, a giant anaconda snake, and come face to face with lemurs.  Learn their role in the ecosystem.  $4 M/ $5 NM per person. www.newenglandWILD.org.

Saturday July 14, 1 pm

"NATIVE PLANT ART STATION" Included FREE with ART GOES WILD. Enjoy a special art experience with native plants, at an art station right in the garden.  Get inspired with a walk into the FIDDLEHEAD LABYRINTH destination. Then go to the Great for older kids and adults. Afterwards drop by the Interactive Mini-Garden Park and create a dish garden. www.newenglandWILD.org.

Monday, July 23 10 am

Enjoy wonderful live ANIMAL AMBASSADORS shows at New England Wild Flower Society's Garden in the Woods. If you'd like to meet some scaly inhabitants of endangered rainforests, don't miss the "RAIN FOREST REPTILES  show for children with adult companions.  Meet a monitor lizard, a seven-foot boa constrictor and a 3-foot alligator!   Learn about these fabulous creatures and their habitats.  $4 M/ $5 NM per person. www.newenglandWILD.org <http://www.newenglandwild.org/> .

Sunday, July 29 1 pm

You're invited to the ART GOES WILD  performing arts series event  "Les Julian and Color outside the Lines"  Surrounded by a beautiful garden,  audience members go on a family music adventure with this acclaimed singer, guitarist and rubbery-faced storyteller.  Bring a picnic to enjoy before the performance, and we'll provide some "wildelicious" snacks. $9 Adults/ $5 Youths ages 3-18.  Members receive a $1 discount.

July 24-27 Tuesday through Friday 9:30 am-noon, first session

July 31-August 3, 9:30 am-noon,  second session

CATTAIL NATURE KIDS  is an exciting way for kids to experience nature's wonders this summer.  Explore the Garden including ponds, streams, forests, and all the plant and animal inhabitants.  Every day includes games, crafts, and special science fun.  Find turtles and frogs, dip for pond life,make a terrarium, smash open rocks, make T-shirts and make new friends.    Preregistration required at registrar at newenglandWILD.org.  Each session is $85 for members and $100 for non-members.

Monday, August 6, 10 am

Enjoy wonderful live ANIMAL AMBASSADORS shows at New England Wild Flower Society's Garden in the Woods. Join naturalist Marcia Wilson and her six visiting owls to learn about the "Owls of New England" Take a hooting lesson and learn how to find owls without disturbing them. Meet a Great Horned owl, a Barred Owl, two Screech Owls, a tiny Saw-whet Owl, and an endangered Short-eared Owl. Draw for an 18x24 fine art print of a snowy owl in flight.   $4 M/ $5 NM per person.

Wednesday, August 8 7:30-9 p.m.

SUMMER SENSES NIGHT HIKE Visit the Garden at nightfall and learn what creatures are prowling. What wonderful things can we hear, smell, see, and touch at the ponside, meadow, brook and forest?  Enjoy snacks, play nighttime games and make a "Goodnight Forest" book to take home.   Preregistration required at registrar at newenglandWILD.org <mailto:registrar at newenglandWILD.org> .  $7 for members and $9 for non-members per person.

Sunday, August 26, 12-4 pm

The MEADOW MADNESS FESTIVAL celebrates the peak of meadow bloom with a riot of color, and a gorgeous family day.   Take a butterfly walk with members of the Massachusetts Butterfly Club.  Enjoy meeting live caterpillars and special butterflies with naturalist Jackie Stone, right at the meadow.  See live honeybee hives and meet local beekeepers. Go on a scavenger hunt and look for costumed characters, "Sandy Beech" and "Dani" the Monarch butterfly, along the way.  Admire our favorite wildlife at every blossom and stop at the Visitor Center for special nature books the whole family will enjoy. Now is the perfect time to plant a fall family garden for wildlife, so come to the native nursery where experts can help select reliable blooming plants. www.newenglandWILD.org.  Festival included FREE with admission.

Note:  Mark your fall calendars for our September 15 Gardeners Day and October 14 Fall Family Festival.

Happy Summer Tomorrow!  See you soon,

Deb

END.