[PCA] TNC Report on Forest Insects and Disease

Megan_Haidet at fws.gov Megan_Haidet at fws.gov
Fri Apr 13 13:39:39 CDT 2007

Take a look at the document titled, An Ounce of Prevention: How to stop
Invasive Insects and Diseases from Devastating U.S. Forests, a recent
paper from The Nature Conservancy Forest Health Program.

To view the pdf. document, visit:
http://www.nature.org/initiatives/forests/files/ounceofpreventionsingle1.pdf

A message from The Nature Conservancy,

Invasive insects and plant diseases are taking a disastrous toll on U.S.
forests.  Imported nursery stock -- trees, garden plants, roots, seeds and
cuttings brought in from other countries for sale to the U.S. consumer--
are one of two chief pathways bringing invasive insects and diseases into
American forests. (The other principal pathway is wood packaging material
- crates, pallets, etc.)  Of about 25 highly damaging forest pests and
diseases introduced since the middle of the 19th Century, 19 have probably
reached the U.S. on imported live plants.  Half of those pests and
diseases entered the country in the past 35 years.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection
Service (APHIS) is the primary agency tasked with preventing the entry of
potentially invasive pests and pathogens.  While APHIS has recently
adopted overarching regulations requiring treatment of wood packaging,
regulations governing imports of plants were large written a generation
ago.  The risk of pest introductions has risen sharply as numbers of plant
imports and source countries have grown.

APHIS has begun revising its regulations - but it is moving slowly in the
face of a looming crisis. The attached report from The Nature Conservancy,
“Ounce of Prevention,” outlines some of the challenges inherent in this
rulemaking and suggests one possible approach to minimizing the risk of
pest introductions associated with plant imports.

We recognize that our suggestion is not the only possible approach.  We
would welcome a dialogue with you and others who are on the front lines of
phytosanitary protection to explore how we might work together to find the
best way forward.

The report is also available on paper, should you prefer.

To view the pdf. document, visit:
http://www.nature.org/initiatives/forests/files/ounceofpreventionsingle1.pdf

Faith T. Campbell, Ph.D.
Forest Health Program