[PCA] FR Notice: proposed lichen listing

Megan_Haidet at fws.gov Megan_Haidet at fws.gov
Fri Sep 29 14:03:08 CDT 2006

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
Fish and Wildlife Service
50 CFR Part 17

Endangered and Threatened Wildlife and Plants; 90-Day Finding on a
Petition
To List Usnea longissima in California as Threatened or Endangered

AGENCY: Fish and Wildlife Service, Interior.
ACTION: Notice of 90-day petition finding.

SUMMARY: We, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service), announce a
90-day finding on a petition to list Usnea longissima (a lichen) in
California as threatened or endangered under the Endangered Species Act
of 1973, as amended (Act). Based on our review and evaluation, we find
that there is not substantial scientific or commercial information to
demonstrate that the California populations of U. longissima are a
discrete and listable entity under the Act. Therefore, we have
determined that the petition does not provide substantial information
to indicate that the petitioned action may be warranted, and we will
not be initiating a further status review of this species in response
to this petition. We ask the public to submit to us any new information
that becomes available concerning the status of U. longissima or
threats to it.

DATES: The finding announced in this document was made on September 28,
2006.

ADDRESSES: The complete supporting file for this finding is available
for public inspection, by appointment, during normal business hours at
the Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service,
1655 Heindon Road, Arcata, CA 95521. New information, data, or
questions concerning Usnea longissima may be submitted to us at any
time at the above address.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Mike Long, Arcata Fish and Wildlife
Office (see ADDRESSES), by telephone at 707-822-7201, or by facsimile
to 707-822-8411. Persons who use a telecommunications device for the
deaf (TDD) may call the Federal Information Relay Service (FIRS) at
800-877-8339, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

For more information visit:
http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-SPECIES/2006/September/Day-28/e15876.htm