[PCA] Streambank Restoration Webcast Sept 20, Wed 11:45 to 1pm eastern time

NAP NAP at ci.ann-arbor.mi.us
Tue Sep 19 14:03:32 CDT 2006

I thought you might be interested.
~Jason

Please feel free to distribute this notice about the Stewardship Network's
monthly online interactive webcast (NOTE: THIS MONTH'S WEBCAST IS ONE WEEK
LATER THAN USUAL)...
REMINDER
THIS WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 20 11:45 to 1pm Eastern time
THE STEWARDSHIP NETWORK'S SEPTEMBER WEBCAST
STREAMBANK RESTORATION
11:45 TO 1PM EASTERN DAYLIGHT TIME.
www.stewardshipnetworkwebcast.org
Please feel free to distribute the following notice about a FREE online
presentation and discussion about STREAMBANK RESTORATION presented by the
Stewardship Network (www.stewardshipnetwork.org).
If you would like to ensure you receive notice about future webcasts (and
are NOT on the stewardshipnetwork list) click this link to join an email
list that announces only these monthly webcasts
 <http://www.stewardshipnetwork.org/e-announcements>
http://www.stewardshipnetwork.org/e-announcements

Hi All-
Streambank Restoration is a complicated issue. How can we keep our streams
healthy in the face of changing hydrology? When is it important to initiate
a streambank restoration project? What methods work? What are issues with
timing and public information? What sources of funds are available for these
efforts?  Join us ONLINE Wednesday, September 20 2006 from 11:45 to 1pm
Eastern time for a presentation and discussion on streambank restoration. By
logging in you will participate in an online interactive presentation and
discussion with people actively engaged in natural areas management from
across the country.

To join the meeting, please click on the following link on Wednesday,
September 20 anytime after 11:45am EDT:
<www.stewardshipnetworkwebcast.org>
and log in anytime after 11:45am Eastern time.
Leading this webcast will be:
-Bob Grese, Bob Grese is Director of the University of Michigan's Matthaei
Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum and is an Associate Professor of
Landscape Architecture in the School of Natural Resources and Environment.
His interests are in ecologically-based design and the restoration of native
ecosystems.
-Don Gray, PhD, Professor Gray's specialty areas are geo-technical
engineering and slope stability. He has taught graduate and undergraduate
courses on engineering property of soils, soil and site improvement,
engineering geology, foundation engineering, and bio-technical slope
protection. His principle research interests lie in the area of slope
stability, earth reinforcement, and soil bioengineering.

-Sarah Weiss, Trails Project Manager, Matthaei Botanical Gardens; Adjunct
Asst Professor, U of Michigan School of Natural Resources and Environment

-Lisa Brush, Executive Director of the Stewardship Network has been working
to bring groups and individuals together to build capacity to manage our
natural areas.
- And you all online bringing your own expertise, experience, insights and
questions making this an enriching and valuable experience.
If you encounter any technical difficulties,
please contact Hailee at (517) 432-1950. We'd also encourage everyone to do
a quick trial run AHEAD OF TIME (by going to
http://www.instantlyglobal.com/system_test ) to make sure you are able to
access the meeting on your computer. If you try beforehand and encounter
difficulties Todd will be able to help you discover what the problem is.
<Details for system admins connecting from gov buildings. Otherwise skip the
info right below and read on farther down for more details about the
webcast. If you are connecting from a government building and need the ip
addresses to open for port 80 here they are:
There are various servers we use for various functions, so that's why
there's 4 IPs.
216.23.180.52
216.23.180.53
216.23.180.54
216.23.180.55

Everyone else who didn't understand any of that paragraph. Don't worry, you
just need to click on the link above.>
We know that some people have had problems accessing similar presentations
when trying to enter from their company's servers because of strict
"firewall" configurations. Most of these people who had problems were trying
to access the presentation from government buildings. If you are having
problems accessing the presentation, some helpful tips can be found here:
http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_19546
Global Ventures with support from the USFS Northern Initiatives Electronic
Commons. We plan to continue offering new webcasts on a variety of
ecological restoration topics on the 2nd Wednesday of the month. While you
may never have participated in a webcast or online meeting we are excited to
continue exploring this innovative outreach/networking technology and
encourage you to try it out.
If you have questions please feel free to email Lisa at
lbrush at stewardshipnetwork.org.
Hope you can join us!
Lisa

Lisa Brush
Executive Director
The Stewardship Network
1831 Traver Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
734/395-4483

The Stewardship Network - pulling together for nature! The Network was
established in 1998 to build the capacity of organizations, individuals, and
private businesses to preserve, restore, and manage natural lands and
waters.
Since its inception, the Network has collaborated with nonprofits large and
small, governmental agencies and units, private businesses, and dedicated
individuals to achieve that goal.
The Stewardship Network connects a broad range of groups, rallies
volunteers, and fills the gaps in today's preservation efforts. Every day
we're out on the land - making connections, providing hands-on training,
building relationships, sharing tools, and passing along new information.
Why? So that the many groups and individuals that protect our natural areas
can become even stronger and more effective.
The Network brings expertise in natural areas management and community
building to increase the effectiveness of organizations, agencies,
businesses, and individuals doing on-the-ground management.

 <http://www.stewardshipnetwork.org/>

Lisa Brush
Executive Director
Stewardship Network