[PCA] Fw: [Pollinator] Roads and pollinators - again

Maria Minno mminno at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 1 07:02:59 CDT 2006

This is fascinating, thank you for your interesting story of highway mowing!

As environmental consultants, my husband and I have worked on rare butterfly
and rare plant surveys, as well as surveys of the highly invasive species,
cogongrass.  We pay attention to what happens on roadsides.

What I have observed is that in the southeastern US, because of a reluctance
to use burn management in these states, most of the natural areas are grown
up so much as to be virtually devoid of native grasses and forbs.  Areas
that have not been developed, put into agriculture, silviculture, or
"improved" for grazing, are almost always overgrown and unsuitable for an
enormous diversity of grasses and grassland species that used to make the
Southeast one of the wealthiest areas in the country for biodiversity.

Looking for grassland that would support the rare Arogos Skipper, we found
almost nothing throughout the southeast, aside from a few powerline cuts.
The exception was a few beautiful wetland areas that are probably developed
now, or will be soon, because of the change in the Corps of Engineer's
definition of what a wetland is a few years back.

In Georgia in particular, even the powerline cuts were farmed, with legumes
and other exotics seeded in to attract deer for hunters.  Indeed, the
problem of attracting deer to roadsides may be a symptom of the lack of open
habitat anywhere else.  Along the southeastern coastal plain, which was
historically basically a grassland/prairie ecosystem, many species which
were formerly abundant are gone and disappearing.

We have found that roadside (and powerline) mowing is very helpful for
biodiversity in that it creates grassland refugia for many species.  On the
other hand, habitat management to promote open native grasslands would be
highly preferable to roadside mowing!

One of the primary means of spreading of Cogongrass, an exotic invasive
which is a menace to biodiversity as well as an economic menace to
silviculture and grazing, is roadside mowing.  And when roadsides are
scraped and planted with turf, the environmental damage is compounded.  Turf
can come with cogongrass, is inherently an exotic species, and takes up the
space that our natives might otherwise thrive in.

The DOT policy of planting wildflowers is another issue.  In Florida
roadsides are often planted with non-native wildflowers, which are pretty,
but also take the place of native species.  It is basically substituting a
wildflower farm for the natives that might otherwise grow on roadsides.  The
wildflowers may also tend to attract wildlife, which is killed by cars.  The
point about roadsides being a sink for wildlife is a great question.  It
seems that pollinators such as butterflies and native bees and wasps, and
their predators, such as dragonflies and birds, and grazers, such as rodents
and deer, and other wildlife favoring open land, including armadilloes, and
all of their predators, such as owls and hawks and panthers, are all
attracted to open roadsides, where they are likely to meet their death by
automobile.

It seems as though the millions of acres of roadside land could be a great
resource for biodiversity, if designed and managed properly.  However,
management would have to be done in a wise and individualized manner,
because a general prescription or policy for a large region would not work
with the variety of habitats roads traverse.  DOT certainly has the
financial resources, perhaps just not the collective will, to do this.

Maria Minno
Gainesville, FL