[PCA] Border War - NY Times Op-ed

BIKEITMIKE1 at aol.com BIKEITMIKE1 at aol.com
Tue Mar 21 22:46:07 CST 2006

If you haven't already seen this sickening NY Times op-ed, it would be well
worth the effort to send a responding letter to the editor.  letters at nytimes.com

Mike Lawler

March 19, 2006
Op-Ed Contributor
Border War
By GEORGE BALL
Warminster, Pa.
THE horticultural world is having its own debate over immigration, with some
environmentalists warning about the dangers of so-called exotic plants from
other countries and continents "invading" American gardens. These botanical
xenophobes say that a pristine natural state exists in our yards and that to
disturb it is both sinful and calamitous. In their view, exotic plants will swallow
your garden, your neighbors' gardens and your neighbors' neighbors' gardens
until the ecosystem collapses under their rampant suffocating growth.
If anything suffocates us, though, it will be the environmentalists'
narrowmindedness. Like all utopian visions, their dream beckons us into a perfect and
rational natural world where nothing ever changes — a world that never existed
and never will.
Native plants are the survivalists of the botanical world, and in the
appropriate settings — wilderness areas, home and botanical gardens, public parks and
sidewalks — they bless us with their beauty and awe us with their tenacity.
Our lives would be poor and grim without the strawberry, cranberry, columbine
and trillium. They've always been here, in the same way that Native Americans
have been; only their arrival and settlement are more ancient.
Their presence illustrates a geologic time, about 8,000 years ago, when the
glaciers receded and unimaginably vast deluges swallowed the surface of the
future United States — an airplane ride over the Midwest reveals enormous lakes
formed by even larger melted ice masses. As the landscape changed, the
botanical world sorted itself out, leaving us with the hardy "natives." (It should be
noted, though, that many plants now considered natives — like sycamores,
magnolias and cinnamon — arrived from other continents, just as we did. They are
products of adaptation.)
Like human survivalists, natives are also subject to exploitation by the
horticultural equivalent of radical fundamentalists. The anti-exotics argue that
gardens should be populated exclusively by native plants, as if the exotics
were trying to enter the flower bed illegally. The consequences of such a stand
could be dire. Should we eat no onions or garlic, apples or lemons; feast our
eyes on no magnificent tulips or roses — all exotics of Eurasian origin? Should
Asians not enjoy their distinctive peppers, tomatoes, beans, squash,
sunflowers and corn — all from the Americas?
Indeed, the world's most popular root crop, potatoes, started life as a
staple of the Andean people and achieved its first international fame as a slave
food. By the time it reached France, the "earth apple" was a delicacy likened to
truffles; their flowers were featured in tiaras of court ladies. Exotic
indeed.
Should we deprive ourselves of petunias, begonias, impatiens and hollyhocks —
not a one of them "native"? Must we, on pain of being cast out of the garden
as horticultural pariahs, deny the elephant his peanuts? This wouldn't be
merely ridiculous. It would compare with the denial of human immigration on
grounds that certain ethnic groups breed in numbers "too prolific" for the existing
elite to tolerate. Imagine, then, a horticultural ruling class. No "invasives"
need apply: let the lily find another valley. Such prohibitions of exotic
plant species demonstrate only an elitist snobbery that is as dangerous to a free
society as it is to a free botany.
No one, and certainly no gardener, grows truly destructive invasive plants in
his garden. The devastating kudzu in the South, star thistle in the West and
purple loosestrife in the East were accidental introductions from Asia, most
often mixed with the feed and bedding of livestock. Yet the pro-native,
anti-exotic partisans also wish us to stop enjoying the charms of harmless and
beautiful plants like Queen Anne's lace, yarrow and chicory. Aside from requiring a
bit of weeding, exotics are safe as milk, unless one considers gardening a
chore rather than a passionate hobby. If so, forget the forget-me-nots.
Let's welcome, as spring arrives tomorrow, as many huddled masses of flowers,
herbs and vegetables as can fit in our unique melting pot of a nation,
unrivaled in its tradition of lush diversity and freedom to grow rampantly.
George Ball, a former president of the American Horticultural Society, is the
president of the seed and plant company W. Atlee Burpee & Company.

Copyright 2006The New York Times Company