[PCA] FW: NPCC Action Alert: Support native plants and the Endangered Species Act - April is Earth Month at Aveda!

Emily Roberson emilyr at plantsocieties.org
Fri Mar 17 16:02:39 CST 2006

**NATIVE PLANT CONSERVATION CAMPAIGN **

ACTION ALERT

*********************************

Attached is a flyer for distribution in March and April to publicize Aveda's
Earth Month. Please share with your members, with the public, the press, and
distribute at events.

BACKGROUND

Each April, Aveda celebrates our planet with a month-long tribute called
Earth Month. Visit a participating Aveda salon, spa or Experience Center and
help protect our planet's web of life through Appointments for the Earth
salon services and experiences.

Last year, the Aveda network helped raise $1.1 million for Earth Month
partners (primarily plant science and conservation groups) and sent 235,000
signatures (double the goal!) to The White House and United Nations-helping
to save threatened and endangered plants.

Earth Month 2006 raises the bar.

In 2006 Aveda hopes to:

*          Raise $1.5M for conservation partners working regionally to
protect endangered species.

.     Collect 275,000 signatures on petitions to protect the Endangered
Species Act

Information on Aveda Earth Month Products:

Earth Month Light the WayT Candle

*         100% of the proceeds from the The Light the Way Candle will be
donated to Earth Month Conservation partners

*         The Light the Way candle spotlights one of Aveda's favorite
sourcing stories, Rose Geranium, while raising money for our planet.

*         The candle aroma contains 100% certified organic essential oils.

*         The Earth Month Candle shows clients how Aveda practices Earth Day
every day by using organic soy oil, organic beeswax and organic palm stearin
in the base, a 95% PCR glass container, and an environmentally safe paper
core wick.

Soil to Bottle

Our new Soil to BottleT system allows us to follow and document the lifeline
of our essential oils - beginning with farms and harvesters who work with
Aveda to grow certified organic ingredients.  By using rose geranium in the
aroma, Aveda is helping South African farmers reclaim their land and
livelihood.  Economically and culturally, the collaboration has fostered
hope, creating a sustainable business partnership that benefits the local
community and the Aveda customer.

_____________________

Emily B. Roberson, Ph.D.

Director

Native Plant Conservation Campaign

PMB 151 (not p.o.b)

1459 18th St.

San Francisco, CA 94107

Phone: 415 970 0394

Email:  eroberson at biologicaldiversity.org

Web:   www.plantsocieties.org

The NPCC is a project of the Center for Biological Diversity and the
California Native Plant Society.

The mission of the NPCC is to promote appreciation and conservation of
native plant species and communities through collaboration, education, law,
policy, land use and management.