[PCA] "Native plant" definitions ?

Larry Morse larry.morse.dc at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 28 15:10:07 CDT 2006

Agree with Craig.  The origin status ("nativity") of Rosa rugosa isn't a
bit debatable within the North American floristics community, being a
deliberate post-Columbian intercontinental introduction.

Last I heard, the NPS policy and definition for native plants focuses on
origin (whether or not direct or indirect human intervention was involved)
and not on degree of establishment or duration of presence.  These latter
factors are usually contributing evidence for consideration as
"naturalized" but that is still a subset of non-native (exotic,
nonindigenous, etc.).  While Rosa rugosa may be naturalized on Northeastern
U.S. beaches (and I know the plant and the landscape well myself), that
does not make it native there.  Science, not public sentiment, needs to be
the deciding factor in these cases.

Debates on origin (native/non-native status) are commonest for places not
far from the range boundary of regionally native plants, such as the status
of black locust in the D.C. region.  That Appalachian species is
unquestionably native further up the Potomac, in the Harpers Ferry area of
the Blue Ridge, and has been widely planted in the Piedmont and Coastal
Plain of our region, from which escapes have become established and
naturalized.  Yet, given the flood dynamics of the Potomac, and the long
list of Appalachian or Midwestern species that follow the river downstream
to the Fall Line if not beyond (such as the white trout lily), it seems
reasonable that the intrinsically rather weedy black locust would have
likewise been easily dispersed as seeds, fragments, and even whole
re-rootable trees downstream from Appalachia in the numerous floods over
past ages.  In this view of mine, stands of black locust near the Potomac
are likely native downstream to the Fall Line (DC/Arlington) and probably
somewhat beyond (e.g., Potomac shore in Charles Co., Md.).  However, the
origin of upland trees in the D.C. region is more likely to involve past
human intervention, making them non-native.  The parallel case of natural
spread of black locust along the Ohio River downstream of Appalachia into
the Central Lowlands (e.g., Cincinnati area) is much better documented in
pioneer literature, as summarized by Lucy Braun  in 'Woody Plants of Ohio.'
and William B. Werthner in 'Some American Trees.'  Might be a good research
topic for someone comfortable with genetic tracers or 'fingerprinting,'
especially if the cultivated plants were originally derived from relatively
narrow initial samplings.

Pre-Columbian human interventions are also generally a more difficult case.
Nobody seems to consider corn to be "native" to New England just because
the Native Americans grew it there well before European contact, but many
other plants may also have been deliberately or accidentally moved around
by the pre-Columbian human inhabitants of our landscapes, which would make
them non-native in some of their pre-Columbian range by the
human-intervention guideline for nativeness.  The floristic status of the
coconut in Hawaii is one such case -- it was probably brought there by
Polynesian settlers, but may have arrived earlier by sea currents as well.

Larry

Larry Morse
Washington, D.C.
larry.morse.dc at earthlink.net
(larry.e.morse at LEM-Natural-Diversity.com)

<Christopher.Brown at mvn02.usace.army.mil>; <emilyr at plantsocieties.org>